Alice skips trips through the mirror
We are entering a flash back
A river of tears
Hatter and Rabbit
And of course the Red Queen
We drink sweet liquor to keep warm
Wrapped up in the bed
Toes dancing
Always waiting
Today there will be a flood
Tomorrow we will not remember it
Such is the course of things
Do we live in the past
She asks
I doubt we live anywhere
I answer
The cold presses us to the blankets
We dare not sleep
Only dream
We have to be awake up to cross back through the mirror
There are no cats to follow
Only the route set in our heart
We eat sandwiches as the light fades
It fills us up
Stops the liquor from making us sick
I look at the mirror from my bed
Always knowing she will return.
The mention of all the fluid things makes me think of how both time and memory can seem really fluid. Memory especially can sweep us along in a river of tears.
ReplyDeleteAlice could tell you, nothing is ever as it seems! However, when there is no cat to follow, then I start to fret. :-/
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with Rommy. Sometimes that river of tears is a flood. A very sad poem Jae Rose.
ReplyDeleteDo we live in the past
ReplyDeleteShe asks
I doubt we live anywhere
I answer
I think in the world of your poetry you go back and forth in time all the time... maybe there is a homelessness for the frequent timetraveller.
Having Alice as a friend has been a boon for you Jae; you can unwind in her company, put behind or blank out all the negatives in your life.
ReplyDeleteI love how you incorporate Alice into your poems so seamlessly and make Wonderland a new experience and a different story, Jae. I enjoyed the way you merged the pool of tears and the looking glass, and evoked the feeling of childhood in the lines:
ReplyDelete‘Wrapped up in the bed
Toes dancing
Always waiting’
and wistfulness in the final lines.
Beautiful imagery here; it’s hard to pick my favourite. But the most impressing is : cold presses us into the blankets- we dare not sleep-only dream.
ReplyDeleteWow- this is so lovely!
ReplyDeleteFYI- comments for my post have (again) been enabled
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteThis reads like a wonderful story ... every line a gift.
I hope the Red Queen stays away. Also the floods. Stay warm and snug, my friend.
ReplyDelete