Friday, 29 November 2019

Bananas

Are we bananas asks Alice
Of course little cricket
Don't you remember what he said
All the best people are
I should like to take tea again
Fancy cakes and hot sweet nectar
What are we now
Poets I think
That seems very grand indeed
Well, we write poems
Scribble down our words
Do we like poetry
Of course
Though stories keep us happy
She ponders
Quite at ease with both definitions of ourselves
It is not a bad life
Neither is it good
But as long as we have words
We will be.

14 comments:

  1. Bananas or not, "as long as we have words" Bananas or not, "We will be." So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this:

    “But as long as we have words
    We will be.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this is the best:

    What are we now?
    Poets I think

    Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite response to the prompt. I love it. "All the best people are." Especially poets! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Instead of "Drink Me" Alice reads a label that says "Write me"? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You put your own unique spin on this. I like this better than the original. "But as lone as have words We will be". Excellent. And so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another praise for "But as long as we have words/We will be." The words, the stories are what we are and what we intend to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "So long as we have words' How true this is Jae. Poets reflect on life through their own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I too love this and agree. I'd like to adopt some lines as mantras. Which means I shall. And aren't all poets bananas (as well as being the best people)?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply delightful ... we are poets, are we not?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tenderness in ‘Of course little cricket’ and the idea that poets are very grand, Jae. I agree that all the best people are bananas and ‘as long as we have words / We will be’!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course being bananas is what defines a poet. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely poem. As many have already said, you really stuck the landing at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete