Saturday, 17 June 2017

Circle



We are running around in circles again
Legs smiling in the summer sun
The world gnawing at our finger tips
A falling thread of echoes
Filling up our empty soul
Everything fell apart
Broke in the night
Like a wheel on a bicycle spinning dreams away 
Two little girls
Too old to be young
Bending spoons
Looking for father
Jumbled up words
Finger prints and wedding rings
All too much 
Perhaps it is time to stop
To know when and where the world belongs
She whistles a hymn
I douse water on our temples
Send a thank you to our angel
Fall to our knees
Touch our face
We are hot and frayed
Lost our way
Running around in circles again.

57 comments:

  1. I suppose that 'running around in circles' is what we do like many creatures, but don't realise it until we get older, finally undertanding it all part of life, wondering who we are and where we belong. The saddest lines you used were "A falling thread of echoes, filling up our empty soul"; they really touched me Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg - at least we have words to fill us up

      Delete
  2. You may be hot and frayed, but there is the angel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully she will stick around - thanks Magical

      Delete
  3. Running in circles means- we'll be back to square one many times,Jae :)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find, after a few laps, the circles have a comforting familiarity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This touched me as an attempt to restart. Caught in a cycle, a couple takes a time out. (or maybe this is a round)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like a wheel on a bicycle spinning dreams away ...what a haunting image Jae...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that running round in circle is something most of us do. The escape is difficult. A very moving poem Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The intimate sisterhood here -- weathering the brutal interface between outer and inner ills --spans "finger prints and wedding rings." It's a round, so it is hard to see what is learned ... but then spirals reveal dimensions, up or down. Each time the circle completes one can see addition or subtraction. That goes into your poem, I think ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. magic circles judging by the constant imagery you conjure:
    "Bending spoons
    Looking for father"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hot,frayed and a little giddy I suspect. A poignant piece indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You say, above, that all you have are words. Words have built, and conquered more worlds than we have ever dreamed. They give dimension and definition to wherever we are, which you have proven over and over again. Words are tools, never meant to be contained within a perfect circle.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I feel sometimes as well that I am running around in circles...as I am looking for the way...sort of like being on a merry-go-round that doesn't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Running around in a circle is probably more interesting than moving up and down on the one spot, which is what I do.I need to expand my horizons and keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ican see those sisters, running in the summer sun....feel their innocence.......i, too, love the line about the bicycle wheel spinning dreams away. So sad. Let's catch a few back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...and coming full circle sometimes restores our faith in the scheme of things. Evocative write. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that we all have those moments when we're running in circles... sometimes it's the comfort of familiarity... but too often we are fenced to run in circles...

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are haunting lines---"A falling thread of echoes / Filling up our empty soul."

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a sharp image, luv it
    "Like a wheel on a bicycle spinning dreams away "

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes when one foot gets "nailed" down, we run in circles....I have known this experience. Better to be free, if possible. Circles have many meanings...the world is a circle, the world circles the sun, the moon circles the earth, circles are old and ancient symbols, powerful! Perhaps they represent all that is whole, complete.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "A falling thread of echoes / Filling up our empty soul.".. sigh.. beautifully haunting lines, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a whirlwind. I love fingerprints and wedding rings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perhaps running around in circles is a step forward from being too lost and 'on empty' to move at all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Why does the woman on the bike from the Wizard of Oz come to mind? She tries to take what is important to Dorothy and transforms into the wicked witch. Hold on to what is important to you Jae...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I remember her she was scary thanks Truedessa

      Delete
  24. "The world gnawing at our finger tips". Such biting image (terribly cheesy pun intended... because it's true).

    ReplyDelete
  25. You certainly capture what it can be like for little kids sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting how this is written in plural, as "we" and "our", especially "our soul" with soul being singular. I love so much about this, the bicycle wheel, the bending spoons.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A falling thread of echoes
    Filling up our empty soul

    Too old to be young

    I think you have summed up how i've been feeling lately, Thank you for the poem

    ReplyDelete