Saturday, 1 November 2014

Straw

I walk on acid toes
To the place where my soul stopped breathing

We are stuck in patterns 
Little fingers stealing from the toffee shop

Apples and pears fall through the windows

Rain rain go away 
Come again another day
She sings and swings her legs
Slurps banana milkshake
Through an imaginary straw

Straws are funny things to clutch
She says
I come to with a jolt
Spit cold and burnt
Soaking in the purple pillow

We are not coming to in the right the place Alice
There should be no sun 
No shadows standing over us

You’re never satisfied are you

She wipes her milky lips with the back of her hand 
Switches songs
Red ruby roses grow on our noses
Slash the thorns and slay the horns
We are on our way
Far away from grey

The birds drip honey in our ears
Pretty like petals dulling our heart beat

We are on a chemical drive
Jaded sparkle nod
Why are we drying our arms with socks asks Alice 

This solution isn't working
We need to go back to when I lost my fingerprints

Line our pretties up all in a row
Just like daisies she squeals
Hobblers and crutches

Look up she says and tugs my hand
Her fingers sticky 
Her mouth caked white
Vanilla smoke oozing from her pores
Just like heaven

See up there
In our dream
We are falling in bird baths
And rattling the wind chimes

For one small second I find my soul
It is joyous
And then the chemicals split.




32 comments:

  1. How graphic this poem is Jae. It was so easy to drift into this wonderland and allow the incongruities to make sense. Lewis Carroll would be proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg..although am tempted to say turn back before you get to comfortable in 'Wonderland' - and I think he would hate me.. i'm not exactly mouldable and would find it hard to resist tackling him to the ground and making him wear a ridiculous frock for all eternity...

      Delete
  2. For me, you are describing yourself as 'wind' rattling the wind chimes. Spirit is found in wind, you speak with a Universal voice. A brilliant piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Annell ...the element of all movement...maybe it will move us up and out of our rabbit hole xo

      Delete
  3. I love that first line…I will keep it with me today, a little bit of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jae Rose, your poems are always amazing but this one is incredible. So many astounding lines, like "I walk...to the place where my soul stopped breathing". And the imagery - fruit falling through the windows.....falling in bird baths, rattling the wind chimes." This was wonderful to read, a brilliant write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you most brilliantly and wonderfully Sherry xo

      Delete
  5. The imagery is indeed brilliant in this one. But also a very thought provoking poem concerning the chemical drive. All this joy is brief. I suppose you would have to weigh up whether it was worth the downside. As a person who hates the downside of everything I am prepared to forego almost everything to avoid it. The idea of no fingerprints is heaven to me but using socks instead of towels to dry myself may take a bit of getting use to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rallentanda you always make me :) - there are far too many downsides and always having a warm fluffy towel is a must! Avoiding all downsides is a good philosophy we shall try

      Delete
  6. This unreels the mood swings of a very vivid dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viv...certainly have mood swings aboard this ship!

      Delete
  7. Jae Rose....I always love going down the rabbit hole of your posts....such an adventure in lush imagery and exquisitely breathtaking phrasing...the first two lines of this one took my breath away. Lovely as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much CC - and I always appreciate your comments

      Delete
  8. "Rain rain go away
    Come again another day"
    Adds a real life reference point to a mad, mad world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you are continuing to do with your referrences to "Alice" (beloved Alice!) and the other childhood references ... wonderful poem - wonderful work...collection coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pearl - i would love the guts to make a collection but i'm a bit of a coward really ;)

      Delete
  10. The worlds you create with your words are always worth exploring, even though they often make me shudder with dread. Why is it that some of us are attracted to the macabre? Pour some honey in my ear, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make me shudder too - so all is not lost! I wish I knew why dark is more fun...handing you some delicious honey..maybe nicer spread on toast than poured in your ear ;) thank you magical

      Delete
  11. This solution isn't working
    We need to go back to when I lost my fingerprints

    This is what most of us need. We must walk ourselves back to when we lost our fingerprints or whatever made us unique in the first place.We must have the discernment to discover what made us special and put it in place again. This stirs it up for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belva - what a wonderful explanation (for me too!)... Good to see you back in blogland

      Delete
  12. Losing ones identity (fingerprints) is a given in this world. Many never find their true soul, not even for one small second. And perhaps that is why there is so little light in it. Hope you know how really gifted you are. Thanks for the comment, I watch for the very same reasons. Keeping hope alive is definitely hard and dangerous work. Hugs from Wisconsin,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those hugs from Wisconsin...sending several back from Devon and trying to hope

      Delete
  13. 'We are stuck in patterns ' ~ relate, sounds familiar, and glad the soul ...found and breathing, ...going away from grey....the way to go x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes grey is not a good place to be stuck in...thank you humbird

      Delete
  14. I love the contrasting images you paint in your poems ... inviting to dreamland, and then showing the stark reality ... very well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Amrit...seems an age since I heard from Green Speck! Good to see you :)

      Delete
  15. Everyone's said it all ... this is a poem to sit back and read calmly reflecting ... and then read it again ... just before ones opens the fridge for a food binge ... well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..food helps when nothing else makes sense! I hope you found some nice cake in your fridge...thank you Georgia

      Delete
  16. The different hues of life have different impact upon us.

    ReplyDelete