Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Disgust

Two magpies nod in their eternal dream
The pigeons on the fence
Fuck
I watch
Funny
How
There is life
Sitting on the fence
Of this death
I watch her mouth
Open
Food falling out
I can’t hide my disgust
I am sick before she is
The tomato soup
Coming back through her skin
Her hair
A strange sour odour
Thick as bad powder
Stuck in my cheeks
In the time
Before
Festering
On the right side of the mirror
I can’t sleep
Not without it
Under the pillow
The gun
The narcotic wad
My trousers are losing their grip
I pace and hold them up
They think I am
bad bad
I try not to cry
Never cry
Keep Alice and the red bed safe
She pouts and stamps her little feet
When are we going home
I don’t know I tell her
I don’t know
All we can hope
I say
Is that the magpies keep us in their dream
She lifts her chin
Dries her face
And we keep moving
Keep moving.

19 comments:

  1. I liked the line sitting on the fence here!! So apt for the rest of the poem 'Disgust' It arouses such conflicting feelings!! You have penned it wonderfully in your trade mark style!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Jae. Good to be back here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very powerful, Jae. One day at a time, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always the best way..thank you Laurie..

      Delete
  4. let your heart fester, stay funny and try to fuck them over, Alice. your kinda brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep on moving towards happiness. love seeing you back today JaeRose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheilagh..always good to see you too..

      Delete
  6. They can't keep you there forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No..soon it will be the next place..thanks Ann :)

      Delete
  7. The eternal cycle of life and death gives us so much to contemplate. Even if we have everything else under control, we are helpless when it comes to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..the only thing that can't be changed perhaps?..thanks Adam..

      Delete
  8. Sometimes all we can do is keep moving. Survival is like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although the imagery is heartbreaking the conclusion is hopeful as the journey continues. I suppose we all have an Alice within us, a confidant, friend and dependent that we will endure most things for to keep us going. Keep on following the sun to the west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks OldEgg..we will head towards the sun..and the sea..

      Delete
  10. All things change, nothing stays the same. With each new day, there is a promise, I think all will be answered soon. Perhaps the big change is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete