My Valentine’s jelly-pot sits in the fridge.
On top of the rotting burgers.
They say eat protein. It’s the only way to heal.
But you cannot plug the holes with jelly.
It barely has substance.
We had two books in our house.
An encyclopaedia for ‘idiot children’ and a junior bible.
But it wasn’t enough to plug the holes.
I liked the pictures.
I did not understand the words.
How can you understand words when nobody speaks.
When you are an ‘idiot child’.
The police came again.
Everyone starts their eternity as a good person.
It’s just sometimes they have to come to your door.
To make sure you pick up the phone.
And get up from the floor.
They try to plug the holes.
Give you kind words to go with the pictures.
I remember the smiling baby.
His face was pink like strawberries.
The animals in the garden.
(I try not to think of shaking the dog)
The tiny map of the world.
(I try not to think of where I have not been)
Tomorrow I shall eat my jelly.
I will try to plug the holes.
A thousand years of something missing.
There is such utter sadness in this piece, particularly the words "How can you understand words when nobody speaks. When you are an ‘idiot child’.
ReplyDeleteIt cries out "neglect" but I'll say nothing because it will only cause trouble. Poor little thing! I blame....
And all she needed was little love.
Excrutiating and brilliantly told.
ReplyDeleteThank you OldEgg - love is what we all need..young or old..wasn't there a song about that? Thank you..you never cause trouble..only a caring hand..Jae
ReplyDeleteThanks you Deborah..Jae
I try not to think of where I've not been. That's the line that gets to me. The limited experience of the 'idiot child', forced by circumstance to forego so much of what is 'out there' for the rest of us. So well written it grips you by the throat - and chokes you!
ReplyDeleteWow! I can feel tears stinging my eyes and goosebumps have erupted on my flesh. This is a beautiful, melancholy poem. I love it!
ReplyDeleteIncredibly poignant, Jae. Writing is a catharsis, is it not?
ReplyDeleteOh this is beautiful, haunting and beautiful. I love the line, "But you cannot plug the holes with jelly". Love this!
ReplyDeleteInteresting, very interesting. Compelling and thought provoking, as you always bring to the table. Everything here is tight and compact in its darkness. I approve! Thanks for sharing Jae, as always you rock!
ReplyDeleteSome interesting images in this jaerose.
ReplyDeleteI love so many of the lines in this piece.
Pamela
Beautifully written...as usual.
ReplyDeletePoor child. It tears at our hearts.
ReplyDelete'Tomorrow I shall eat my jelly.
ReplyDeleteI will try to plug the holes.
A thousand years of something missing.'
Haunting...truly haunting.
Not enough jelly in the whole wide world. I echo everything everyone else has said times ten. I don't know what I can say to this. It is so complete, a broken heart with every little scar and broken vessel delineated with precision.
ReplyDeletei can feel the utter sadness in this one. runs so deep you get shivers... lovely write up!
ReplyDeleteThank you Altonian..hope the choke-hold has been released..
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Jane :)
Thank you Kim - it certainly is..
Thank you Catherine..
Thank you Leiffy - is that rocking gently in a corner with a blanket over my head!
Thank you so Pamela :)
Thank you LindyLou and Lilibeth..
Thank you as always Abigail..
Thank you Dee - such a compliment and your last sentence..a poem within a comment..
Thank you Warm Sunshine
Jae :)
I am blown away by the power of those terribly sad words. Can there possibly be anything more terrible than neglect and abuse? You wrote this so well, that I am affected in a deeply moved way.
ReplyDeleteI'm still shaking my head, and wondering why.
Thank you for hearing the words as well as reading them 'LightVerse'..much appreciated..Jae
ReplyDeleteI think I understand about the words that are not spoken. I'm not sure, but maybe sticky jelly will fill the holes? If not I am sending you warm hugs and kisses. Note: throw out the rotten burger. xoxoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteWonderful write as always. I liked the pictures, too. And I bet the dog liked it! Doggies always like a good shaking!
Thank you Annell - they are long thrown away and the jelly (jello) was actually quite tasty..thank you for the virtual hug..Jae :)
ReplyDeletePoignantly sad, filling love's holes. Very beautifully written, jea.
ReplyDeleteThank you Michael..Jae
ReplyDelete