I blink. I don’t know where I am.
I am looking for an aid to restful sleep but the bright lights make me swirl around like Dorothy.
This tornado is so loud. It punches my ears.
The blue lady amplifies my confusion.
Don’t scrub me away
- As if the soap will make me more bearable.
Keep your hands clean from the wreckage
- As if washing me will protect you from what I have become.
I prop myself up on the yellow cushion at night and half believe I am in the place where people push your head down.
The place where nobody comes any more.
I think of this place a lot.
I hope there is occasion to go back there.
I plan my next visit in the little book with cherries on the cover.
Like people outside of the wreckage plan holidays and birthday parties.
I bought the little book from the shop.
In the place where I let my feet slip.
I think of the kind time. Firework’s night. When a stranger bought a comb and brushed the knots from my hair.
‘You’ve missed all the lights’ she said. And I smiled because inside I had found the brightest, most wonderful light.
Maybe she thought it would make me pretty.
Everything becomes smooth and pretty when you fall into the bright light.
I have kept it.
The little purple comb.
It waits in my bag for next time.
I look out the window.
I have moved from the shop with the shiny floors to the place where I drink coffee and pretend to read the paper.
In this place people talk about their shopping and how good the food tastes.
For a moment I know that what I am looking for is in St James.
If I go there I will find him.
As I sit on the hard chair I feel him stroking the tangles from my hair. Easing out the tornado inside. Aiding me into restful sleep.
And I smile.
His hands will lead me to an end.
You took me on the journey with you
ReplyDeletefrom place to place, from protector
to crowds to lover and back
and I see shiny deep hair
flowing down her back
untangled now, combed out now,
and the purple comb.
Thank you Christopher..what a beautiful comment..Jae
ReplyDeleteSheilagh Lee said: very well written so subtle the way you wrote that.
ReplyDeleteI often start swiping lines of your writing to put here and comment on them individually, but it starts to get silly as the whole lot ends up here! As always, you write with unnerving insight of the emotions felt Jae, brilliantly told.
ReplyDelete(St.James?)
Yes, keep the little comb, I'm sure it will be needed again - hopefully soon.
ReplyDeleteLovely poem Jae!
Thanks Sheilagh as always..
ReplyDeleteThanks Deborah..Not silly at all..I always appreciate your comments..ah, the mystery of St James..place or person?
Thank you Altonian..strange the things we hold onto..always lovely to hear from you
Jae
I was intrigued about St.James as I live very near to such a place, but a mystery is good :o)
ReplyDeleteOoh, it's strange when that happens isn't it..especially when there are only virtual breadcrumbs spread out across the internet..makes me wonder where you are too! Jae
ReplyDeleteCleverly crafted and well narrated. Loved the subtleties!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWonderful writing as always Jae. :-)
ReplyDeleteI am with Deborah on both of her comments. St James as a place, is somewhere both she and I know very well. Quite intriguing to see that name here!
Love the image of his hands stroking the tangles out of her hair. I hope he leads her to a happy place. Beautifully done, Jae.
ReplyDeleteI left a comment, but where is it! I wanted you to know how much I enjoyed this piece, as I always do about your writing!
ReplyDeleteYour writing is, as always, amazing! I was following 'her' - hoping to see her realize that happy place, a sweet end - and a restful sleep. It's in the details that your story is so well told.
ReplyDeleteI. too, am soothed by a gentle stroking of my hair. And as one who lives others, I also feel comforted when allowed to sooth and smooth. Both heartache and healing evinced here.
ReplyDeletesorry for typo, Jae... wrong-handed typing and pain meds!
ReplyDeleteI really feel like I'm sitting inside her mind, treasuring the light and loving the comb.
ReplyDeleteAs usual we are taken into the dark world of one of your characters. Here however there is a chink of light! There is hope and the ability to be calmed and could it be that St. James is the King James version of the bible or the name of a hospital? Either way I feel much happier after this piece!
ReplyDeleteWonderful imagery with a mesmerizing quality. Nicely done.
ReplyDeleteToo bad I was lazy/hungover/inactive to do a 3WW properly. Great work on this piece, the comb is the focal point but means so much more than a regular comb would (at least to me). The ability to straighten oneself out, to make it appear clean and whole... Always tempting.
ReplyDeleteFantastic job! Do poke around and take a peek at my last two poems. One might even bring a tear to your eye ;)
Thank you Nanka..
ReplyDeleteThanks Susannah..a cross-over into your world (a little anyway!) that's interesting..thanks for your comment as always..
Thank you VL..I hope so too..
Thank you Annell - this comment is just perfect..thanks as ever..
Thanks Lightverse..I am glad you liked the details..
Thanks Kim - ouch! hope your typing hand gets better soon..
Thanks Lilibeth - I love the idea of 'treasuring the light'..
Thanks OldEgg I am glad you left feeling lighter this time.. ;)
Thanks very much Grandma..
Thanks Leiffy- hadn't thought of 'comb' as in the verb (also fuzzy headed!) - also 'combing' for treasures or answers..you clever bean! Of course I shall take a poke around your poetry..
Jae
I agree with VL Sheridan about the imagery of his hands smoothing her hair...
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written.
Thank you
Jae,
ReplyDeleteVery nice, powerful writing. "This tornado is so loud. It punches my ears." That's what I'm talking about!
Nico
Thanks Ren - and for following.. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Nico - glad you liked!
Jae
The imagery of the purple comb is what pulls at my heart. Such a minor detail, yet so important.
ReplyDeleteThank you Monica..Jae :)
ReplyDeleteThere aren't words to describe the beauty of this poem. I just loved it!
ReplyDeleteThank you Jane..Jae :)
ReplyDelete