The woman in the panda hat looks so mean. She is sitting opposite me on the train. I am going back to the falling over place.
It is abrasive to look at her dark face framed by fluffy white ears. Like how I feel about going back.
I want to see the person who held my hand. But I fear remembering why she had to help me up from the fall.
I try to explain to them that I was not there. That I was neither in or out of my head. I was absent. They look at me absently. I scream in my head. No, not that like. Completely gone. Nothing. Nobody. Nowhere.
One minute I am a sitting behind the curtains thinking this is great. I am not gagging. The next I am eating mini biscuits in a wheelchair in the hall. Crying.
I think I must have been gone for a whole day. Not that it was a loss.
More a waste.
It’s amazing how it becomes easier and easier. A packet of tissues. A clean pair of socks. An umbrella cover.
I acknowledge it was a slip using the bin in the toilets and holding the can in my hand.
I am getting tired. Old. Complacent.
It’s strange how this order is so congruous. Not a mean lady in a panda hat. A handful lady at the top of the stairs. All so fitting now. The security guards pass. They know my name. I answer. That’s what you do.
Not that my name belongs to me. It is absent from my presence.
Apparently I told her all about that. The person who held my hand.
I sit on the train trying not to look at panda woman. She scares me. They all say I still have a pretty face. That makes me feel sad. Like there is something left to salvage. Although I never want to look mean however far I fall.
I remember little things. I remember little things. I remember little things.
Then I think of the park bench. The brick wall. The kitchen floor.
How when I fall I use the ink to say what I truly want.
I wrote three little words on the chart.
One of them was please.
Sheilagh Lee said: aw so sad so she has some type of mental disability like senility or Alzheimer's.Very well written and described.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sheilagh..Jae
ReplyDelete"How when I fall I use the ink to say what I truly want." Don't we all. I sometimes fear my quill will break under the pressure. Your quill is strong, Jae, in every way.
ReplyDeleteI sit here and think,,,Is? or Is not? I sit here,,,
ReplyDeleteThank you Monica..you have the power of the quill too!
ReplyDeleteThank you Glenn..I just don't know either...
Jae
It's just good there was someone to give a helping hand. The future is out there, for all of us, good or bad. Good writing.
ReplyDeleteThank you Altonian - let's hope so..Jae
ReplyDeleteVery very touching...
ReplyDeletedead woman and her treasures
As I read your piece, I felt myself tearing up. "I think I must have been gone for a whole day. Not that it was a loss," is, I think, one of the saddest things one could possibly say,
ReplyDeleteThis was beautifully written - and so absorbing.
The intensity with which you write continues to amaze me, Jae.
ReplyDeleteAs ever you delight with your writes.. Jae.. I enjoy every time I visit.. a very unique style..
ReplyDeleteA sad and touching tale and you have done it well!!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if the other two words were "help me"?
ReplyDeleteYou must fantasize when you go about your life Jae and pick up these little triggers for your writing such as the panda hat. You have mastered the art of observation and put all you see away for use later on. I certainly am not speechless but never seem to be able to praise you enough.
Such a fantastic peice, so full of emotion. Overwhelmingly powerful. I could feel her despair.
ReplyDeleteAnother great piece Jae, the dual worlds of being present and yet absent is quite powerful. Can't imagine how much better it can be to in the void between. And the panda hat, never trusted 'em!
ReplyDeleteFantastic dark work!
Thank you Gautami..
ReplyDeleteThank you LightVerse - it's interesting which lines we most identify with..
Thank you Kim..as always..
Thank you Ramesh..very kind..
Thank you Nanka..
I don't think they were OldEgg but that's a pleasing thought..and you always give me great props!
Thank you Jane..
Thank you Leiffy...panda hats are the work of some underworld badness...
Jae :)
You always amaze me! You leave me speechless.
ReplyDeleteSolid, as always. I love the way you repeat "I remember little things". And the last line is so haunting, like a small prayer. Please. I hope it's answered.
ReplyDeleteJae - so provocative and intriguing. I love the voice of the narrator. Brilliant. JP/deb
ReplyDeleteThank you so Annell, VL and JP..Jae
ReplyDeleteI am always a little apprehensive on these journeys. I see the panda hat lady and the bin and can, white tile, institutional green walls, taste the biscuits. I want to see the one who held the hand. I'm never sure when I get to the end, how I am going to feel. I remember little things. Then I get stuck trying to figure what other two words I would write....
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful piece of work. So sad yet so touching.
ReplyDelete*Thank for stopping by :)*
Thank you Dee...I probably leave these little stories as confused as you..I am not quite sure what they say or where they lead..although I do know the two other words..
ReplyDeleteThank you Ren..
Jae :)
and i would hold your hand again if you fall....thank you for touching my life. x
ReplyDelete