Tuesday, 17 March 2026

Your Voice


I still hear your voice - it makes me feel strong on foggy days

It is both powerful and vulnerable - as perhaps you were

And I am too - the phoenix from the flame 

You gave me comfort and strength 

Led me to your homeland where I wandered the streets

Sat in churches and listened to conversations  

Any little nuance that would make me feel closer to you -

To understand the world that had formed in my head

Of course, I learnt that chasing thoughts

Is not a tangible affair - you were a person 

But what you gave to me was thoughts and feelings - the right to live

I miss you but am glad you showed me your magic -

The ability to both raise my voice and the capacity to ‘be’ enough for myself inside.



Inspired by thinking of Sinead O’Connor and what she meant to me growing up 

10 comments:

  1. How wonderful that Sinead O'Connor inspired you, as she did two of my children, too, during their times of struggle. I only wish she had felt "enough" to continue her journey on earth. But her journey led her elsewhere. She was so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiration and hope are found in unexpected places. You last line is strong and filled with promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a moving beautiful tribute. Just lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jae, such a lovely tribute to a beautiful soul. I'm happy to learn what Sinead meant to you. I'm glad she continues to give you strength <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely your poem, the inspiration you channeled. Beautiful all the way 'round, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this with Ireland in mind, I felt a strong political eulogy in this. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading this with Ireland in mind, I felt a strong political eulogy. Nicely done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful poem, Jae!

    Yvette M Calleiro :-)
    http://yvettemcalleiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete