We are in the kitchen
Making up tomatoes on toast
We smell like death
It crept up to us
On this day
Alice dips
A sugary finger in the bowl
Smiles and waves
She really is a good girl
We both are
She whispers
Mother can't take that away
We look out of the window
All is dark
No stars tonight
Just the gentle
Plodding of rain
Time passing
Clouds rearranging
Soon it will be morning
Another day
Another chance
A place to enjoy
The mundane.
I have always loved mornings, the start of a brand new day, yesterday over...........tomatoes on toast sounds good.
ReplyDeleteAs we pass through "We smell like death', 'All is dark', our breaths become heavy and thank god there's a sigh of relief at the end : Soon it will be morning.
ReplyDeleteI love the way you conjured out of the mundane the 'gentle / Plodding of rain’ and ‘Clouds rearranging’.
ReplyDelete"No stars tonight
ReplyDeleteJust the gentle
Plodding of rain " I love thinking of rain as a person plodding along. Just the daily waiting behind it, and a little hope beyond.
I think I would enjoy tomatoes on toast. A morning always gives us another chance. Even the mundane is enjoyable in its own way!
ReplyDeleteYou write such beautiful poetry, Jae! Personally I think mundane moments are often the most special and wonderful in life.
ReplyDeleteTomatoes on toast sounds good.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Rosemary on both counts
ReplyDeleteThe smell of death sets the tone.
ReplyDeleteValuing the daily routine enriches our lives in ways we do not expect, Jae. Lovely...
ReplyDelete