Friday, 2 September 2022

Surreal

We stand on a ladder
And light the candles
They emit a warm glow
Over the fields and far away
Dinah runs up and down
The piano keys
What a din
Alice says
She is in her best dress
Holding a swan
Why a swan?
I ask
She chuckles
And answers
Just because
I am gripping onto the branches
Swaying over the river bank
A little boy blows bubbles
In the wind
He is smiling 
Happy as a fox
Sniffing bright yellow dandelions 
My face is surreal
Like an x-ray of a flower
Broken and torn 
I mourn for it
In a black dress
In the sand 
The wind blowing away the veil
I use to cover it
There is no running away from reality
Of course there is
She says
Silly
You just need to pretend. 

6 comments:

  1. I love "Why a swan? Just because." Smiles. There are such lovely images in this poem. I love the fox and the dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running away from reality ... I have been incredibly of that in my life! Your poetry delights on this fine Saturday morn ... and as you approach dusk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you melded these together especially the little boy happy as a fox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these days I am all for running away from reality. A bit of pretend is a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely Jae Rose! I always enjoy your capturing of all the images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "There is no running away from reality
    Of course there is
    She says
    Silly
    You just need to pretend. "

    Fantastic the way this story ends

    Happy Sunday

    much💛love

    ReplyDelete