We stand like a fawn
In the warmth of the forest
Daylight is coming
It filters through the trees
And the church windows
Alice sits at the base of an old oak
The mirror held close to her face
She is lighter than me
I am the woman in black
Who fell down the stairs
And waits for crow to
Peck her cheek
Take her breath away
Quick sticks
She suddenly says
It is like a jolt in the silence
Like kicking a book in the air
Perhaps we should load up
A jalopy
Go on an adventure
A proper adventure
She declares
One that means we leave
The house
And the forest and church
In our head
I am overcome by inertia
To leave is to feel
And to feel is scary
But I will be with you she says
And nothing is scary with your best friend
The fawn chews the leaves
Watches us
The sun continues to climb
Perhaps today Little Cricket
Perhaps today
I say.
This is lovely, the fawn and, especially, the closing lines.
ReplyDeleteA lovely movement between ennui/stillness and hope in motion.
ReplyDelete"To leave is to feel
ReplyDeleteAnd to feel is scary"
Moving away of the comfort zone is always scary
Happy Sunday Jae
Much💛love
You did a great job incorporating several of the photos. It moved effortlessly between darkness and light.
ReplyDelete'To leave is to feel and to feel is scary' ~ some feel it more than others. I know the depth of the words you shared. A lovely write, Jae.
ReplyDeleteThis is gorgeous Jae Rose. Life is a journey of so many things and this poem captures the feelings that can arise.
ReplyDeleteThe interplay between the images is so very well done as is the movement from exterior to interior fears and wishes.
ReplyDelete