Alice shows me a photograph
Look she says
It is like the ones he took of me
When I was in the garden
This girl is dressed in a white cotton dress
Her parents are in the reflection of the glass
I was left alone with him
She sighs
It is a sigh
Like the weight of the sickle
I used to destroy my face
We dream of staircases
Of falling down
It is quite possible we will
Become beautiful
I laugh
You will I say
I will stary
Hidden in the tree
My skin scarred and worn
More a boy than a girl
Your destiny is in your hands
She reads
Eventually I think
At first you have to survive
I think of the sad eyes
A young girl looking out
Onto a unknown land
One day we will escape
Our destiny
I whisper
I pretend not to see
As a single tear drops
From her eyes onto
The black and white photograph
Of the little girl.
This is so sad, Jae, that little girl, the things that happened to her that she still remembers..........yes, first we survive. Then we turn towards the sun, unfurl our petals, and bloom. Your poems are your blooming.
ReplyDeleteThe way you incorporated all the images and then circled this around is absolutely lovely Jae Rose! Always enjoy reading your poetry.
ReplyDelete"One day we will escape
ReplyDeleteOur destiny
I whisper"
Happy Sunday Jae
Much💛love
This poem tilts grief and heartbreak and lets it flow behind the words.
ReplyDeleteAn intriguing tale with half the story told, the other imagined.
ReplyDeleteAn ominous undertone to your beautifully composed poem, Jae.
ReplyDelete