Perhaps we have very little
In common
She tweets
In an unrelated way
I look her in the eye
Over the flames
Of the campfire
Nothing could be further
From my mind
Little Cricket
We always find a way
To see the world together
Different versions of reality
A place with the same taste
In the air
I look at the brand on my arm
She studies it too
Are there any more stories
She asks
I am getting peckish
Always
I say
The world is full of stories
And tales
You wrote one yourself
Didn't you know
I was just a character
She says
No Alice
You are much more than that
You are a guiding light
A beginning
And an end
But always alive
She curls her toes
As if she is enjoying the words
In an unrelated way we are together
I hope that will last for a very long time
So do I she whispers
As the embers of the flames
Die down
And fade
We hold each other tight.
I love this. Such a sweet and powerful connection. I love her curling her toes in delight at your words. Alice is very much alive to me, after these years of reading your poems.
ReplyDelete"The world is full of stories... You wrote one yourself..." I love that. Even if we are "just a character" we're part of the stories.
ReplyDeleteAnd such a very illuminating guiding light!
ReplyDeleteDifferent perspectives tend to merger when in agreement to disagree
ReplyDeleteLuv this campfire scent
Nice one
much❤love
i love these "alice" poems of yours, so concrete and so visceral at the same time. and i like the balance in the relationship as you create it(or recreate it) the different and the similar, and always written so soft and effortless. love this!
ReplyDeleteYour poems are always so heartwarming and positive.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy reading these wonderfully sweet poems ....
ReplyDeleteYou manage to create the positive, sweet and touching scenario time after time.
ReplyDelete