Tuesday, 5 October 2021

Octobers

October comes in all her glory
The gentle brush of autumn 
Sweeping the window frame
The trees quietly shedding
Skeleton leaves
Spindle branches
Rough bark
Trunks 
Perfect weather for sleeping
She says
With a yawn 
The bed is well worn
The pillows shaped
To our heads
Strands of hair 
The smell of shampoo 
And dreams 
We keep the windows open
The air smells fresh 
Keeps us clean 
And naive 
We are scared the building will 
Fall down
Just like the leaves 
We huddle up together
Shut our eyes
To keep the fear at bay
When did summer end 
I do not know little Cricket
But I am so glad we live in a world
Where there are Octobers. 

11 comments:

  1. I am glad for Octobers too - the glorious colours on the trees, winter closing in with cozy indoor days, fireplaces, hot chocolate. Loved this poem, Jae. And may your building stand firmly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this Jae. How your readers must be pleased to read your poems and try to imagine you and and Alice at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to have someone to huddle with to keep the fear at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing that struck me most is the pillows and smell of shampoo! The bed in your poem is "well worn" which my mattress is, too much so, but a clean pillowcase and the smell of clean shampooed hair is hard to beat, October or any other month! It seems summer ended here the day the calendar said it would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. October as perfect weather for sleeping. Yes, I'm finding it so this morning. It's overcast and calm out here in the desert. Although I'm awake, I'm moving slowly. Life is good. Hope you and Little Cricket find it so too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "We keep the windows open
    The air smells fresh
    Keeps us clean
    And naive "

    Bravo nice one

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  7. “The air smells fresh
    Keeps us clean
    And naive“

    I love that. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is something about an October breeze - just right for an open window and all the smells it rustles up. Lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, lovely poem full of fresh air and wonderful smells.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely, Jae!
    "The smell of shampoo
    And dreams . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that ending. There's a sense of both loss and optimism. I also like the lines: "The gentle brush of autumn / Sweeping the window frame"

    ReplyDelete