Tuesday, 19 October 2021

Forward

We are not very good at
Moving forward
I say
We are sitting in the half light
She giggles
We are not very good at
Moving backwards either
Perhaps we are stuck 
In this in-between place
All the signs and symbols
Swirling around our head
But not as clear
As cake
Or poison 
She says
In her usual
Rational 
Way 
Perhaps you do not want to move
If you did it would be easy
Just follow Rabbit
Solve the puzzles
And be back at the tree
For supper
I wish I could think as clearly as you
Little Cricket
It is like my feet are made of clay
Then I will get a hammer and break them
She always has an answer
Perhaps you are moving forward 
But do not see
She says
Every day we wake up
Is a step forward 
She takes my hand
Just be sure to wake up
Then breathe
And the whole world
Will move forward with you. 

6 comments:

  1. I love how this poem closes, with the understanding that each new day is another step forward. And some days, it is enough just to Be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comes to a wonderful conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing to remember.....just breathe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful ~~ half light is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, this is nice! "just follow rabbit". so many great lines in this poem, and always, your wonderful tone. enjoyed this very much jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Rosemary and Sherry. To be honest, this poem makes me feel better about myself. I can relate especially to these lines: "All the signs and symbols / Swirling around our head / But not as clear / As cake / Or poison"

    ReplyDelete