She holds the silver chain
In her tiny hands
We do not believe in God
Or his son
But we feel safe with this talisman
Held within us
The safe verticals
The tough horizontal
We have held the shape so long
The silver feels soft
A little warmer
Than our body temperature
Even if we do not believe
We know this cross
Has kept us safe
When we do not hold it
We hang it from the light
Let its shape shine
Flourescent
Powerful
Able to hold us
When we are ready for the next adventure
I will place the cross around her neck
She will hold my hand
And so a perfect circle
The world is full of signs
And symbols
The ones we hold most
Can never be stolen
They are inside us
Untouchable
Ours.
I love this. Especially the closing lines. May you and Alice always stay safe in your circle of being.
ReplyDeleteRemind me of a song, the singer say she not a believer but she thinks Jesus is a cool guy.
ReplyDeleteAh the magic of Calvary
Much💜love
Ha ha, I have (unintentionally) offended some Christians by expressing the opinion that Jesus is a very cool dude! (I didn't know about the song.) I am not an unbeliever in the same sense, though – it's churches and their doctrines I object to.
DeleteThe cross is a powerful symbol for sure, and although it is so very much associated with Christianity, it is even older. Your own cross also has all the power and magic you have invested in it over the years.
ReplyDeleteAn interesting concept of the cross, and what it means to you and Alice. A potent symbol, for sure.
ReplyDelete