Sunday, 7 July 2019

News

The finches set a course across the water
Alice looks up
Knuckles greasy and bared
Maybe they are delivering the mail
Little notes of swirling news
I sit still
Shimmer and groan as if I am melting
The wind chime knocks upon the window
Short notes
Like oaths
We have to find the signs
Measure the beats
Short wantings rarely spared
We take a seat on the curb
Look up to the skies
Try and remember the path the finches took
It is good to be outside
We wish for cool air and a steady hand
All the better to write with.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Jae! Thanks for sharing this poem - I was amused by the finches and how the news is brought to us. I also like the way you've used "shimmer" and "groan" together. Smiles!
    Love, Mariya K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jae - delighted to hear you ... your wind chime is chiming sweetly...cool air and a steady hand ... aaahhh what more could one wish for..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to be outside in the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the finches delivering little notes of swirling news..........it is lovely to be outside. It is always good to read you, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it hard to write outside but your poem may persuade my to try again. Curiously I tried a year or two ago but got waylaid by the birds wanting treats, and the clouds skimming across the sky and the river slowing drifting past with not even a splash or ripple of laughter...so came back home again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outdoors and finches. You and Alice are in fine company.

    ReplyDelete