Wednesday, 24 July 2019

Dance

The finches land on the rain pipe
The grass is cut
The sky is still
Alice twirls and waltzes in her crisp blue dress
I expect it will rain soon
For now we soak up the sun like cats lolling in the heat
Dreamily
Greedily
Bodies sprawled
Hair clean around our shoulders
Can we think of the time before
So far away
I think we got a little lost, she says
I think we did too little cricket
Let's not go back there
One step forward in a giddy dance
Our hands don't shake any more
Our teeth sparkle
It feels like a whole new world
But in fact all we do is turn in circles
Light on our toes
Until the moon grazes the sky and then we sleep
Behind the curtains we hear the birds
A gentle song
The clocks tick tock
We made it through another day
And another day will come.

13 comments:

  1. Sometimes the way we dance through life makes us forget, then suddenly we find things have changed, we've got older and we don't look the same in the mirror anymore. We all cope differently don't we? I really like this poem Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It feels like a whole new world
    But in fact all we do is turn in circles".....Yes, that's what we do. The last two closing lines seem to have both despair and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all we do is turn in circles
    Light on our toes
    Until the moon grazes the sky ... and just how beautiful is that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a comforting image you’ve painted in the opening lines, Jae! The line ’…we soak up the sun like cats lolling in the heat’ is a great way to evoke the temperature. I love the giddy dance without shaking hands and the knowledge that they made it through another day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. Beautiful images in this one. Let us pat ourselves on the back. Everyday we get through is a triumph and we can give ourselves a little treat now and then and if we wash our hair as well we can have strawberries and cream with our apple danish:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I love this poem, and to know that you and Alice are feeling so well. I love the one step forward in a giddy dance. Love Alice's "let's not go back there." I love the well-being in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes making it through another day is all that really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! Indeed
    "I think we got a little lost, she says
    I think we did too little cricket
    Let's not go back there"

    Happy Wednesday. Clean hair and dancing feet nice

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a deep, moving poem. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a magical poem and I love "the moon grazes the sky"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love! Especially the image that plays throughout: "like cats lolling in the heat" We should all learn the acceptance of the cat--wise creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too little cricket is one thing, but making it through a day, now that’s an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete