Wednesday, 14 December 2016

Wake






















Who woke up the creature underneath
She really is unacceptable
She swings her legs
Looks down
Past the curtains and the frowns
Once you wake a monster
They will never go away
That is why you are stuck 
It is no coincidence
That you chew on spiders 
And suck on glue
She hops downs
Looks in the fridge
The light burns my eyes
She pretties her hair in the empty bottle 
As if it is a vanity mirror  
I am floor Bound
Bound to the floor
The coffee old
Ransacked
And cold
She pulls up her stockings 
And sings
Never let the wolf in
One step through the door
And he will chase you forever more
I close my eyes
Sleep a long lost dream
Open my hand
Feel the keys
And the blood
Pull up my rust belt and sing.

58 comments:

  1. Alice's activities are always significant and so are her warnings...the empty bottle used as a vanity mirror & sleeping the long lost dream have such elements of sadness in them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sumana - exactly so - as Alice might say - thank you for your insightful and significant comments too

      Delete
  2. Sing what? I saw three ships come sailing in but you were not on any of them, perhaps:)
    Merry Christmas Jae rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we missed all the boats and climbed aboard the crazy train! Thank you Rallnetanda and happy Christmas too

      Delete
  3. As usual I love the vibrancy of your verse Jae, especially the wisdom in "Never let the wolf in/ One step through the door/And he will chase you forever more".. we should never allow ourselves to turn our guard down. Beautifully rendered.


    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanaa - although always good to let our friends in 💙

      Delete
  4. Once you wake a monster
    They will never go away..one hopes they eventually will go away Jae. Simply loved this poem.. what do we do with our fears...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thotpurge - perhaps tucking our fears under the bed doesn't work so well any more..

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's rusty though Magical - more making noise and intermittently sobbing ;) thank you 🎼

      Delete
  6. Profound and thought-provoking poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "She pulls up her stockings ..... I pull up my rust belt . . . ."
    The monster, the wolf--I do believe the song charms them away as it does anger and despair in every protest that ever lifted us into action. It's a defiant act, singing, though it can also be sorrowful. Maybe it can break bonds as well as wake us and bring down the walls of Jericho?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those thoughts thank you Susan - it would be wonderful to break bonds and wake up - not sure we could fall the walls of Jericho but it would be so very good to break out of this apartment and town - thank you as always for your insight

      Delete
  8. break bonds and wake up tell yourself the monster can't hurt you anymore. Merry Christmas JaeRose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheilagh - we will try our very best and a happy and peaceful Holliday season to you too xo

      Delete
  9. Not sure if my comment went through. Such poignancy in sleeping a long lost dream. I especially love "Pull up my rust belt and sing". Loved this one, Jae Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry - they are the dreams that seem to multiply...thank you as always.. With love back xo

      Delete
  10. Last week heaven, this week hell. Is it the season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear it might be - though we are never really a burst of summer sun... Thank you kindly (other) Alice

      Delete
  11. You paint with some of my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jae I Luv the caution of the wolf, and the fact that in this season of anticipated Joy. Alice is conscious enough to join in the singing.
    I hope you are singing too

    Happy Holidays

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena - and a happy and peaceful Christmas time to you also

      Delete
  13. Well composed reflection of a moment faced

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curiously I found a great determination in the closing lines to be positive and encouraging. Alice is always Alice brushing away cobwebs and slaying demons and administering her own wisdom that is certainly no worse than anyone elses. You have have a great mate there Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg - I can always trust you to find the positive - Alice is a good mate but i think i have other good mates too.. ;)

      Delete
  15. To me this one read like one of those inexplicable nursery rhymes that somehow go to one's subconscious. If so, there is healing even once the monster awakes. She may be the monster of truth and doesn't want to go away.
    As always your creative lines impress me so much. Love reading your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love your comments - thank you Myrna - the monster of truth.. she sounds like someone we could share tea with in time

      Delete
  16. I pin my hopes to the dream, the keys, the singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good place to pin hopes - thank you Rosemary

      Delete
  17. I like the mention of a wolf, and the rusty belt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Once you wake a monster
    They will never go away
    That is why you are stuck

    Some people find it the hard way!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough Hank - the path could be yellow bricks if we choose ;) thank you

      Delete
  19. So wonderful what you are able to share! Each of our lives unique, no there isn't another just like you and your little side-kick. I recognzed you the first time I read you and you have never disappointed! This is really a wonderful write! Yes, you do hold the keys, and one day you will realize the door was open all the time, you have the power, just like Dorothy, who so wanted to go home....it is up to you to step through. Merry Christmas! xoxoxoxohugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so Annell - so wonderful to have found you on the yellow brick road too.. My Glinda! I do so hope we find home.. Maybe there will even be a toto thank you for finding us and sticking with us..much love and peace in return xo

      Delete
  20. I so love how you manage to shut the doors to the monsters... this is a song I need... a song burning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Bjorn - glad it is a song which resonates

      Delete
  21. I love this poem. (I'm sorry if my first comment wasn't appropriate; I didn't realize it if I was saying anything that might be offensive or "off.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not offensive at all - i appreciate your reading and enjoying Carob - thank you

      Delete
  22. Very confident and fluid piece Jae - really enjoyed being carried along in this telling flight of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Scott - imagination flights are the best journeys

      Delete
  23. Never let the wolf in
    One step through the door
    And he will chase you forever more

    Strong messages in this metaphoric poem, Jae Rose. A lot to relate to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you liv2 - i am glad there was something to relate to

      Delete
  24. ...if I hadn't breathe glue in a paper bag while in the "can" It wouldn't have made so much sense to me :)
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise - we barely know what is sense and not ;) thank ZQ for your insightful comments

      Delete
  25. Indeed...never let the wolf in. Blockade that door!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Don't wake up monsters if we are not ready to deal with them ~ I like the singing in the end ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good philosophy thank you Grace - why wake a sleeping monster ;)

      Delete
  27. Many times I have let that wolf in and he does tend to overstay his welcome! So interesting all of the images, thoughts and feelings that wind their way through your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Bodhirose - keeping the wolf at the door seems to be for the best

      Delete
  28. The blood always makes us sing, especially when we have the right key... Here is for soft notes that enchant and for shrilly ones that break us from unwanted trances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the very best song - thank you kindly Magaly 💙

      Delete