Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Dapple

















I wonder how real people live she says
Tucking the universe into her pocket
The pink sky falls on her cheeks
Like dappled apples
Sprinkled from the sky
She hops down from the window 
Straightens her dress 
And her hair
Rather elaborately 
I would imagine
Tea and cakes at noon
Sandwiches and milk for supper
She traces her fingers over the floor
You can see all the stains in this light
It’s just like a story 
But backwards
Hatter would make sense of it
He never made it to the end of tea
Or the beginning
He fell asleep before we poured a single drop 
Last night circles her lips
I look in the mirror
The same circle drawn upon my face
A trail of filth and words

We are quite the conundrum
Not quite awake
Never asleep

I wonder how real people live she says
Tucking the universe into her pocket

The pink sky falls on our cheeks 
Like dappled apples
Sprinkled from the sky
We lie on the floor
Breathing in 
Everything we will ever be. 

16 comments:

  1. "I wonder how real people live..." I say that a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In which case we are in very good company indeed - thank you very much Nara and good to see you :-)

      Delete
  2. "I wonder how real people live"...I ask myself the same question every day. I hope you find the answer, Jae Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps not knowing makes us real - so very good to see you Monica - best wishes and thank you xo

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to say there are no real people only faulty ones. That is the whole point for real, perfect people are useless they don't know how to change, or laugh or cry but believe nothing has to change whereas imperfect people strive for something else, to laugh and cry, to love and dislike and wonder why. Those real people you think are out there are really a sham and have faults just like us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think real definitely means faulty - although to be a little more functioning than faulty sounds like a good plan! Thank you Old Egg ;)

      Delete
  4. Dream on and enjoy. Thank you for opening this door to us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for walking through it Martin

      Delete
  5. We are quite the conundrum
    Not quite awake Never asleep
    I wonder how real people live she says

    There seems to be lots of make-belief episodes that one wonders about!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - sometimes make believe can be wonderful - thank you Hank and best wishes for the new year

      Delete
  6. "...like dappled apples sprinkled from the sky"........such a lovely image......I love Alice "tucking the universe into her pocket." Alice has considerable wisdom, as always. May this year bring you many good things, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice is glowing at the compliment - thank you Sherry - and wishing you many good things in return also

      Delete
  7. Perspective is the oddest thing. We think we are outside looking in at that universe tucked in a pocket (that contains millions of people who think THEY are on the outside looking in!) Millions of poems that never get written. Millions of voices in a river of people who are all thinking they are outside the river. Yur voice sings in that river. Happy New Year Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee - thank you for being part of that river.. the warm dappled stream parts - wishing you a happy new year also

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year Jae Rose ! I have often wondered how real people live too. I have an idea it is not what is portrayed on the tele or in the movies:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Rallentanda.. Shh I think the real people are right here ;)

      Delete