Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Held


The snow falls down
Like kisses 
I lick them up
Taste you
It's on the television silly
You're eating the carpet again

There is a lot to forget
Nothing to remember 

Part worn
Part tired

Silent
Sad
Reduced

I want to be held
I think 
A propos of nothing

At least he left before the storm came 
The world works like that
Sometimes

We are treading water
Spilling flies
Small stones of reality 
Dragging us down

The fall

Pathetic
Ridiculous
Seamless

Not as engaged in the game as we once were

Not brave enough to leave
Not brave enough to be

You know what our problem is
Only one I think
We have no normality markers
That’s why nobody understands

She has a point
She usually does 

I want it so badly Alice
It never goes away
Because you won’t let it silly
Just like you hang onto me

I respect your courage
The good lady said

The blue ballon
Falls down
On the string is tied a golden key
I reach for it
My wish radical
I think
Waiting to be held.

48 comments:

  1. I like the nose, reminds me of one I used to have but that is life we change. I am not sure that markers are useful which like borders are crying out to be crossed. Advice is not what you need either but determination. Alice though is probably good in making you think harder as she comes up with her diverse thoughts. Your writing Jae always contains so much depth that this reader often feels like he's tumbling down the rabbit hole too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg - as noses go it serves its purpose! markers can be counterproductive..it's having the courage to step away from them i guess..please stay on solid ground - we need people up there...for when we get out

      Delete
  2. At least he left before the storm came
    The world works like that
    Sometimes

    There is a lot of pain and truth in these lines. Often the people who enter into our lives tend to leave behind a huge impact. Beautifully expressed!


    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this vision gets tangled up in one of my own. I am currently locked in by the fifteen inches the last storm left and thinking about a thing I did in 3D of men trapped in snowballs falling to the ground and bouncing back up until the snowballs cracked and the men fell out. Love is like a storm that can leave you frozen in the fear, I guess. Unless you keep at it until the ice cracks and lets you in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honoured to be tangled in one of your visions Nara - thank you - yes waiting for the big melt - but not meltdown - seems logical..the image was inspired by the TV humming in the background..we just have grey skies falling here..

      Delete
  4. "Not as engaged in the game as we once were

    Not brave enough to leave
    Not brave enough to be"

    Most certainly a situation for the injection of COURAGE Jae

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - we hope it finds us soon - thank you very much Gillena

      Delete
  5. Heartbreaking and inspiring simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Rosemary - much appreciated

      Delete
  6. Love the metaphoric first verse.....snow falling like kisses...
    And also the verse that there are no normality markers. So very true..what is normal anyway? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew - thank you kindly Mary ... I'm guessing everything that's a little bit dull!

      Delete
  7. Such a great style. Courage seems like a real struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does - maybe that's why it's important - thank you Brother Ollie

      Delete
  8. I agree with Rosemary. It takes great courage, in the place where you are, to Be. Like the good woman in your poem, I respect that in you. I think the wanting to be held shows great promise .......a reaching up and out. That takes courage too. I hear the tiredness, and I relate. One wishes for less struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry - that is a good wish - may it be granted to all of us who struggle..thank you as ever for finding the shreds of light xo

      Delete
  9. sometimes we have to find ourselves and our own strengths delving inside oneself to find these things can be hard it takes a lot of courage and determination but when we do we find we're stronger than we think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheilagh - this feels like a comment written from experience for which I thank you even more

      Delete
  10. We all want to be held. That's normal. But sometimes we have to hold ourselves, love ourselves. To let that be enough takes courage and I don't know if I'm that brave. I think you are though. I think you have been holding yourself for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a kind comment thank you so much Myrna - sometimes it's not bravery but the only thing that can be done - I suspect you and most of us do it at some point in our lives..thank you

      Delete
  11. Love the flow of thought in this poem....so raw and rich to what fears are inside us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We can never be enough. That's why we are called imperfect human beings. All we can do is try to be the best that we can be in any given moment. And you can bet that someone will tell us we should or could be better. Grab that key, hold it close. Visualize your dream, build it slowly, nurture it daily. That's how it needs to be held.

    Sending both of you hugs,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those hugs Elizabeth..we will hold it tight..as we do the kind words

      Delete
  13. That last line segues so nicely with the title of the previous poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice - i do realise i repeat myself (often) - glad it was a connection rather than my usual dithering around! ;)

      Delete
  14. And to me, this poem is a marker of normality - wanting, needing to be held. We all want and need that at various times in our lives. And I myself have felt that hesitancy to leave a relationship that is just finally at the end, civil silence between strangers. And I finally learned how to hold myself. That was hard. Many times I have found, it takes being alone with one's own self to find the you within and to reach out and hold that self. Like I said, this poem is a marker of normality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Toni - Thank you for repeating 'this poem is a marker of normality' ..it helps explain..Yes i suppose we have to be alone to know our selves and be able to hold ourselves in a good way - not back..thank you for showing me the light of the next step in this process

      Delete
  15. "We are treading water
    Spilling flies
    Small stones of reality
    Dragging us down"

    Yai! What an image! Wasn't it Lily Tomlin's bag lady character who said that reality was overrated? But then it was Virginia Woolf whose stones dragged her down. So thank God for courage and for the key and for the "maybe" you give these characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - I was never sure where 'reality was overrated' came from but use it a lot (of course)..Sylvia's stones...hmm written like that i guess the meaning could work either way! But maybe is a small window..thank you kindly

      Delete
  16. The longing is palpable and the resistance, too...I love the image of the blue balloon and the golden key. Excellent poem, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are stubborn it's true! Thank you kindly Hannah, much appreciated

      Delete
  17. "Small stones of reality / Dragging us down"...i don't like the reality that drag us down, how i wish it could be avoided....it does take a lot of courage to be in such space though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't a nice feeling for sure - thank you very much Sumana..hopefully it will pass..

      Delete
  18. Too often another's reality weighs heavy.
    At those times perhaps a procrastinated break could save us?
    The elusive key... may we all have the opportunity to find and use it.

    Thanks as always for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you too Jules - a break and a key..hmm sounds like a plan ;)

      Delete
  19. Someone, somewhere always respects our courage...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not brave enough to leave
    Not brave enough to be

    It is not easy to face reality when it comes to separation. One must muster all the courage to make an impact.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes reality is hard but there's no escaping it - thank you Hank

      Delete
  21. Sometimes it's not fear but a sense of needing space to recover before heading out to try the game again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way of putting it - thank you James

      Delete
  22. A gripping narrative. Very powerfully written!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I tried commenting earlier but it didn't work...google doesn't much like me! I loved the images you paint in this as they evoked some very tender memories for me. (using my defunct google account)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria - I think I used a defunct Wordpress account to comment on your piece - I appreciate the comment and the effort to post it thanks (I do use comment moderation so that may have also been why) or did you ask about their taxes ;)

      Delete
  24. It's a cruel Wonderland that poor Alice finds herself in with simply not enough courage to leave it, and not enough even to be... Well-penned, Jae. These conversations with Alice are taking us to dark places, but we all are learning and feeling more and more each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for sticking with us Nicholas - yes, i think it is a Wonderland which lacks bright wonder..hopefully there will be lighter days..thank you

      Delete