I'm having terrible moments of déjà vu
But I must not spill the soup
Or the truth
We eat toast by the window
It is nice
Although I am not sure if the butter is real
Of course it is silly
If you taste it
It exists
I learnt that long ago
Summer is back on Wednesday
She drove a limousine to Kansas
The fizzy orange stains my fingers
Deeply absorbed in you
Everything gets stuck
like me
like me
like me
We even trip in a loop she giggles frantically
That's a very scenic shot
Empty house on the hill
No windows
No doors
But still home
We got stuck in the cake today
It was yummy and funny
Like cobwebs
Caulking our soul
I can still feel the weight of her
I dream of a time
When my property is appreciated
A church inside
Not rubble
I'll see it when I believe it
Shoes are a challenge
Cake is easy
I wipe the leaves from the lock
Leave
Me
Alone
It is not love that sustains me
I think as I tumble through the floor
It is sugar and candy and all things that once were nice
But now destroy my soul
I see her on the top shelf
Toothless
Old
Dying
My powdery little tumour
She turns
Eat up sweetie sweet
One more
Is
One less
See, no trouble at all.
"Shoes are a challenge, Cake is easy" I really have no idea what that means but I really like it. Odd.
ReplyDeleteOdd sums it up thank you J Cosmo..we could try and explain the difference but are too replete with sugar to bore you...or know ourselves..all i might say is walking to the shops wearing Victoria sponges on your feet is tricky
DeleteAnd crazy!
DeleteThis is intense, fast-paced and vivid. Very well written!
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly Enigma
DeleteWe are sustainable, really. Hardier than our tumors and diets and reputations. Can't trust that deja vu which will tell us we're stuck with trouble when we're not. Again, Jae Rose, the narrative story you provide, fragmented into its bits, takes me on a complete journey with a tinge of humor and an edge of tragedy. (I'm sorry that Mr. Linky is misbehaving this morning and you may have to sign in more than once as I fix it!)
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly Susan...i am glad it sticks together healthily in some way..and yes we are hardier than most of the things that might consume us...maybe Mr Linky is having an Alice moment too ;)
DeleteHahaha!
DeleteIt is sugar and candy and all things that once were nice
ReplyDeleteBut now destroy my soul.
This is so poignant and true.. things which once seemed liked icing on cake now feel something like stale bread..! Love love love this poem! :D
Lots of love,
Sanaa
Thank you thank you thank you Sanaa!
DeleteYou're most welcome Jae :D
DeleteNot only do you play with words you play with us as well. Home is where the heart is and there are no windows in that. However whatever is sweet in life does sustain us so I can see the advantage of having someone like Alice in one's life.
ReplyDeleteThank you Old Egg - hopefully we play nicely..yes..she has her advantages..although sometimes I would prefer some quiet time instead of our misadventures
Delete"I'll see it when I believe it" this faith keeps us standing and perhaps makes this life a cakewalk...I would also love to see a church inside and not a rubble, you know...Alice's philosophy, "If you taste it / It exists" is sustainable too :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for your insight Sumana...cakewalk is a great word - one rarely used here but it certainly fits the bill in our striving...
DeleteI like the pace here ... lovely :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you Amrit :)
DeleteHome is where the heart is! It is no bother if the facilities are inadequate. It is still home despite all the deficiencies! Wonderful take Jae!
ReplyDeleteHank
Yes that's true thank you kindly Hank
DeleteI'm not sustainable now....testing values? maybe... but dying Alice - not good at all! please, fix her :)x
ReplyDeleteAlice will come good...she always does....as you say..testing the waters..thank you kindly humbird xo
DeleteHaunting thoughts here. One cannot live sustained by sugar alone. Perhaps something more nourishing could be added gradually, so as not to upset.
ReplyDeleteYes the sugar needs to be swapped for sunshine and a spoonful of real...slowly slowly...thank you kindly Ann
DeleteDeju vu can be pain but we can step beyond it and be happy keeping our inner child (Alice). Sweetness sustains we repair the rubble and we move on and find that 'dream of a time
ReplyDeleteWhen your property is appreciated
A church inside
Not rubble'
I love your approach to things Sheilagh - always a way to move on and forward..thank you
DeleteThe image of the house on the hill, with no windows or doors "But still home" has great impact. As does this whole poem, as always. And I deeply love the longing for a time when there is "a church inside. Not rubble". And that your property (self) is respected. Very deep. "It is not love that sustains me." I have found, in my largely solitary life that, when one does not have a particular love, we can tap into a much larger love, and find great comfort in that. I think maybe we do that online. I know I thank God for it. Thank you for this most impactful poem. It went deep.
ReplyDeleteI think we definitely do that online...and it means far more than sugar...thank god for that indeed...and thank you too Sherry...here's to that home that awaits us
DeleteI can't tell you how much I loved this poem. The lucid flow of words and the depth in them mesmerized me.
ReplyDeleteI loved the lines, " It is not love that sustains me
I think as I tumble through the floor
It is sugar and candy and all things that once were nice
But now destroy my soul"
Beautiful piece of work :)
Thank you Purba...we are glad you enjoyed and that the words at least are lucid ;)
DeleteA look into that kid of future is seriously frightening when the sweet powder is everything in the present.
ReplyDeleteIsn't she just...I blame the parents ;) Thank you (other) Alice
Delete"Although I am not sure if the butter is real
ReplyDeleteOf course it is silly
If you taste it
It exists" -
Yes! Had me laughing out loud x
Glad to raise a chuckle..thank you Claire
Deletedeja vu, where things were once nice yet there is sanctuary in present reality
ReplyDelete"I dream of a time
When my property is appreciated
A church inside
Not rubble"
much love...
I hope there is sanctuary at some point in the cycle..thank you Gillena
DeleteI lke so many lines in this. I feel this poem as all of yours, like a kaleidoscope of thoughts that delve deeply into my subconscious. I think we all have a church inside, hope we're aware of it. Thank you Jae for sharing your talent.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words Myrna...yes a church inside for all of us is a peaceful thought..
DeleteWhat a lovely read...it just flowed and sometimes I had to read a stanza twice to see if it actually rhymed because it flows so beautifully.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading even once Cheryl-Lynn
Deletewhat a compelling write! you had me hanging on every word, every description!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Stacy
DeleteWonderfully woven words.
ReplyDeleteThank you wonderfully Roslyn
DeleteJae Rose,
ReplyDeleteI too fall for the sweetness of candy and cake at times. It often sustains a bad day, in a delicious way!!
Eileen
In its purest form sugar is indeed the best medicine..thank you sweetly Eileen
DeleteIt is a delightful piece! I enjoyed each line! xoxoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteThank you Annell xo
DeleteComing home to an empty place with out what we expect causes a disturbance but is not always bad.
ReplyDeleteNo - it can be a clean slate..a home is what you make it..not the building it's housed in..thank you GL
DeleteI eat chocolate when I feel down ^_^ but it's just a short remedy - we have to change the way we think about things in order to build what we want.......
ReplyDeleteYes..chocolate doesn't make for good foundations...despite the extra weight it incurs...it's like the head knows but the hand has a mind of its own! Thank you Helen
Deletethat is frantic !!
ReplyDeleteFrantic sums it up perfectly..thanks Sandra
DeleteQuite stunning. i adore the imagery in this.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Peter
Delete