Wednesday, 17 June 2015

Calamity
















I cut up dressings on the bathroom floor
Pointless really
We are already dead

Butterfly dust and calamity
Locked behind the door

Maybe we should cut up dollies 
Make them pretty dresses

I can see fairies she squeals 

Let’s cut up flower heads
I’m hungry
You’re always hungry Alice
Well, you don’t fill me up
Isn’t that the other way round
She sighs

This is all so very dull
Jump drink swallow 
Jump drink swallow
See
Simple silly

Constance is under pressure 
I miss Constance 
Tobias 
The goodness of god

Citrus angel and
Generator men
There are worse places to be
And better 

Down stream is where the rubbish collects 
I don't care if the flies come in
Or the spiders get stuck in the drain
Wake me up to get me high
Marshmallow stuck to our nose
Polish the bed
Tidy the stairs

Sand
Language
Sound

What does it mean anyway

I step over the 
Chalkline
Outline
Bodyline
Holding onto rabbit
Like a child
But not
Looking for a grown up 
To take away the gun

Time trips
Even when there’s milk in the fridge

Do me a favour
Don't shoot out the window ok
It’s a game of love
The security shot

Leave it to me
We're checking out

He picks me up and shoots down the door
That’s the way it is
When you love a child

You take out the threat
Don’t become it

But It isn’t real she whispers
Shut up Alice 

I can see fairies she squeals 

I believe in her
Is what she needs to hear

I cut up dressings on the bathroom floor
Pointless really
We are already dead

Butterfly dust and calamity 
Locked behind the door.







56 comments:

  1. I can see fairies she squeals
    I believe in her
    Is what she needs to hear

    When we are children.. we are pretty much fearless.. we believe in the impossible.. and strive in danger... but as we grow old.. the situation is reversed... because then we have children.. and it becomes apparent what fear or danger really is.. to protect and nurture them.. against all calamity.. becomes our sole purpose.

    Beautifully penned :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanaa...unfortunately some of us get old but don't lose that fearlessness...it never tends to work out well - as Alice knows all too well! But absolutely that is how life should be for all children...thank you kindly :)

      Delete
  2. Haunting. I don't quite know if I got what the poem means to say, but that's the feel the words and the tone of the poem (or how I read it) evoked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vinay - I'm not sure what it means either..sometimes understanding comes from feelings I guess not comprehension - for which I appreciate yours

      Delete
  3. Sadly not all childhoods are pleasant and there is an underlying tension in this poem with some frightening references that are unexplained. So the narrator fantasizes along with Alice to cover up the past and close the door. No matter how much we close doors bits of past still stick with us regardless of the butterfly dust and marshmallows. Very impressive dark poetry today Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Old Egg.. darkness has the canny knack of finding its way in however hard you try to keep it out - apparently that applies to writing too! thank you..

      Delete
  4. Speechless.
    I would see the outline and gun and death forever.
    This narrator had to grow up way too fast.
    Thank God for Alice who can still see fairies.
    The security chain lock unlocked is the perfect image.
    "Calamity" is the perfect title.
    Was Constance Tobias, the judge, involved?
    You have me talking to myself:
    "This is a POEM, Susan, enjoy it and then go away."
    Ok. Father. Calamity. I believe in you.
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - for the comment and more...and talking to yourself is normal around here - no better person to hammer things out with! ;)

      Delete
  5. What does it mean anyway

    I find myself asking that question frequently these days, so I suppose that I have a lot in common with Alice and her sidekick, don't I? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you ask that question it's like unravelling a woollen jumper thread by thread..i think we must share many thoughts..but hopefully the cheerier ones..thank you Magical :)

      Delete
  6. "What does it mean anyway"...everything need not have a meaning though life will go on with or without meaning....there will be shootings, dumping of rubbish, deaths and in the midst of all these someone would still see fairies...
    I am able to comment here because I follow your blog Jae...I am very much frustrated as I can't read others' poems except those whom I follow..ugh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Sumana - do you have google plus - sometimes blogs only allow comments through that? I am glad there are fairies

      Delete
  7. When you love a child

    You take out the threat
    Don’t become it

    Sometimes its hard to be an adult. We need to retain a little of that innocence even when real life taints and haunts us. the fairies can give that to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to be an adult...but hopefully with it comes some 'power' that we don't have when we're a child..and yes fairies are always good! Thank you kindly Sheilagh

      Delete
  8. Oh Jae, this poem really hits the heart. Cutting up dressings......the butterfly dust is rather magical, in the middle of the sad situation. What most stands out - the child needing to hear "I believe in you". Needing an adult to take away the gun. Keep writing, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will always try to keep writing..if nothing else..it's the butterfly on a bad day...thank you very much Sherry xo

      Delete
  9. I was so happy to see you bring back your second stanza as a closing...so powerful...causes me to think of the fragility and transformative powers of the butterfly. Excellent work, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterflies are magnificent creatures...what they achieve in a day is like a microcosm of potentiality..thank you kindly Hannah

      Delete
  10. I love your poems. I doubt if I understand them the way you mean it, but from start to finish, I find lines I fall in love with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Cookie - I doubt I know what they mean either...or understand...i appreciate you finding lines to like!

      Delete
  11. This shows how a child has to deal with situations too much for them. It is a bit unreal, a confusion, a paradox and a prayer. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi - a paradox and a prayer is a perfect way of putting it..thank you

      Delete
  12. very haunting and such spine tingling emotion, this is powerfully written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Alan (love the Owl avatar also)

      Delete
  13. I love that you are adding images to your words, it's fun! I used to do it all the time, but I guess I've gotten lazy, just doing good to gather some letters, form words..... And your words speak to me, beyond words...wonderful poem! When my Son was sick and dying, I could see butterflies lifting from his fingers now they are dust mixed with tears.xoxoxoxohugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too for your wonderful comment Annell..i believe those butterflies take us to a safe place... always xo

      Delete
  14. Yes, there is someone who failed to pick up each of us and keep us safe. We can let this make us bitter or we can become powerful protectors in our own right. Keep caring for Alice and Rabbit. All will be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann - especially for the 'all will be well' - sometimes that's all we need to hear too..thank you

      Delete
  15. Yes, butterfly dust stuck with me too. It's almost all that is left once my cats have hunted done the beautiful, doomed creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire..I love cats but I guess you can't stop them chewing up the butterflies ;)

      Delete
  16. There is magic here--and power--and hope I think--I too was glad to see the second stanza come back--really leaves me with no words--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Audrey - magic-power-hope..all very good words..

      Delete
  17. Eh, what's a few cut flowers when there is powder to have. All right, so it's only butterfly dust. We'll worry about the dressings on the floor later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your approach (other) Alice...all things will be done..when good and ready ;)

      Delete
  18. What an intresting story penned in poetry...truly gifted you are. I enjoyed reading it several times...being the person asking what it all means, then wanting to protect the child from threat and fear. I like reading something that makes me think and stirs my muse a bit too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Cheryl-Lynn...much appreciated

      Delete
  19. A clever weaving.... nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For one moment there I thought you wrote that the spiders that got stuck in the drain woke you up to get you high....LOL....Sorry Jae I see surreal humour in everything....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whose to say they didn't..it's a tipsy-turvy world after all thank you Rallentanda ;)

      Delete
  21. My head hurts. Will butterfly dust help? I guess not. You have woven something wonderful but what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what indeed? That makes my head hurt too thank you Peter...however i can assure butterfly dust doesn't help...maybe a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake ;)

      Delete
  22. Yes playing and protecting are the goals. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GL...i think your poem illustrates this too..

      Delete
  23. Jae Rose,

    The unchained door and the ongoing drama which leaves the traces outlined quite clearly..A disturbing tale today, within a certain calamity..While, seeking reassurance in clinging to rabbit, a constant comfort..
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your insight Eileen - greatly appreciated

      Delete
  24. Gosh! I could hear the haunting cries....heart wrenching, to say the least!! Talking about the effects of child abuse is sad,... but it's something one needs to do in order to heal.
    This was a beautiful depiction, Jae!! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too Panchali for your understanding

      Delete
  25. A gem - the more I read it the more I found. Alice was intriguing as ever. Brilliant.

    Visit Keith's Ramblings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Keith - we like gems..particularly iced gems which go rather nicely with a cup of tea (now that shows how very old I am!)

      Delete
  26. Amazing, enthralling, deeply moving.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 'I believe in her
    Is what she needs to hear' ~ don't we all need to hear it?....and started again to trust holding eyes on butterflies and dust our desires to come true....Love :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do...thank you humbird..love and good wishes back :)

      Delete