At the eleventh hour we lose mummy
Like daddy
Almost
But
Not real
Time skips rope on the spot
You can't lose what was never there
Maybe says Alice
But remember how thirsty we got
When the water stopped running
It made us want it even more
I huddle undercover in the sun
Make your can count today
This stuff must be good
I've not seen it before
There's great courage in the air
Rocks and rain
Petrichor
Pleasant
Poem
There’s a reason we remembered that word
What is it Alice
She is gone
Asleep in our secrets
I stroke the sweat from her head
Think how nice it would be to float
In a bath of cold water
The solvents make this strange city repeat itself
My thoughts flow through her
A sour storm
Her lips flutter
Trying to catch the last song
Sitting in the air
It waits in a brown bottle
Drink me drink me
I really should call someone
Say I'm in trouble
She sings me like cheap gossip
Help me
Help me
Well this is alarming
Dull as razors
Let’s go against cosmic order
And keep chocolate in the bedroom
My little change of tune
We tear off the wrapper
As if the answers are inside
She gets to be more dangerous
Than an enemy to you
The afternoon encases us
Like bronze statues
Stuck
Stock
Still
Speechless
I wish I had a mother
She screams
Can in hand
Brain in tangled hair
We come down like a tonne of bricks
Only you could choose a powder
Which makes your teethe ache and time repeat itself she sighs
I plant my feet
Look in the mirror
Try to find the real story
Written on my skin
It looks like rain
Rocks and rain
Petrichor
Pleasant
Poem
There's a reason I remembered that word
At the eleventh hour we lose mummy
Like daddy
Almost
But not real
The solvents make this strange city repeat itself.

could feel the suffocation and yearning in trying to find the real story written on the skin .....
ReplyDeleteThank you Sumana...hopefully one day it will be told
DeleteThere is something about this poem, and I can't quite place my finger on it, on the emotion I feel, but I feel something when I read this. A new emotion for me? But it doesn't matter, it made me feel and that's what poetry is supposed to do. Great great write you have a gift.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much - much appreciated
DeleteWords do impress. As we write we know their meaning and others reading them will apply them to their own dreams. I've often wondered about Alice's mother but that is digressing. You have a marvelous gift Jae, I love your writing and those tears that appears to "cancel half a line" in your illustration.
ReplyDeleteThank you Old Egg - I wonder about Alice's mother too - and thanks for looking at the photo too.. much appreciated as ever..
DeleteAn enthralling poem which held me to every word, every feeling.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Rosemary
DeleteI plant my feet
ReplyDeleteLook in the mirror
Try to find the real story
Written on my skin
One tends to question oneself incessantly to get at the real story. This happens all the time as one would not like to be taken for a ride. Very true! Great lines Jae!
Hank
Yes truth can become a bit slippery - thank you kindly Hank!
DeleteThe repetition of the 1st stanza is very essential to the realization that life could be a fantasy. Numerous questions and scenarios have been constantly playing in our minds as we seek for answers.
ReplyDeleteThere's a longing and come what may tone all throughout. As I always say, I hope you and Alice are fine always . Have a great week ahead, Jae and Alice too :)
Thank you for your kind comment Totomai...yes life can quickly tumble into fantasy..which is not always the escape it promised to be at first...essentially we need to be back out that rabbit hole to really be alive..thank you...have a good week too..and we will be fine..step by step..
DeleteI love how you pull me into your word with that first and last stanza, like a trip into a fevered dream.. And the.n you always wonder what is real more real, what we see when we shut our eyes or what we we see when lookin at it,
ReplyDeleteThank you Bjorn - that's exactly it..what is real and not..we scratch our heads over that one constantly...it's all part of who we are so maybe each is valid but one is healthier..hmm...thank you
DeleteI agree the repetition worked so well ~ I specially like:
ReplyDeleteIt looks like rain
Rocks and rain
Petrichor
Pleasant
Poem
Thanks for the lovely write Jae ~
Thank you too Grace :)
DeleteMy little change of tune
ReplyDeleteWe tear off the wrapper
As if the answers are inside
Sometimes the search and desire for answers become so overwhelming that the person gets swept away.. into the storm of his own emotions.. an incredible piece!
Lots of love,
Sanaa
Yes indeed adrift in the storm..hopefully there's always a way back to shore..thank you kindly Sanaa..
DeleteYou're most welcome Jae :D
DeleteYes.. the comments preceding this one responded so eloquently - it is difficult to add - a "fevered dream" this surreal world where we tumble with you down a rabbit hole of echoing longing ... Bravo!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Pearl...I hope my comment took on your poem too..it was very strong and inspiring
Deleteinteresting piece - this line really grabbed me: "Time skips rope on the spot" -
ReplyDeleteThank you Brother Ollie..
Delete"I plant my feet
ReplyDeleteLook in the mirror
Try to find the real story
Written on my skin"
fantasy will always infiltrate; guess its the character of aesthetic, and its process to go with the flow until the banks of reality is sighted
i'm happy you dropped in at my Sunday Lime this morning
much love...
We will look for those banks of reality..thank you kindly Gillena
DeleteYes - definitely one must keep chocolate in the bedroom! It will give 'sweet' dreams. Smiles.
ReplyDeleteAh, the real story --- written on one's skin. The skin always tells the truth!
Have a good week, Jae.
Thank you Mary - have a good week too :)
DeleteI find the note in the illustration alarming, but then I suppose the narrator is speaking of it, being recalled to it. It's a poem, after all. The repeated loss of Mommy like Daddy truly disturbs me, and:
ReplyDelete"My little change of tune
We tear off the wrapper
As if the answers are inside
She gets to be more dangerous
Than an enemy to you
The afternoon encases us
Like bronze statues
Stuck
Stock
Still
Speechless"
So much confusion. Wrapper and skin is the hardest one for me. I love the song captured in the potion. ANd the courage and scent in the air. I feel poems are always distillations, repetitions.
Thank you Susan - for your insights and sticking with us...much appreciated
DeleteThis is stellar: "The afternoon encases us
ReplyDeleteLike bronze statues"
Thanks most stellarly C.C.!
DeleteThis one goes powerfully to the heart - the longing for the lost mother is palpable. I enlarged the photo so I could read the words........it saddens me how much human pain there is in this world. I am glad there is courage in the air. One needs it, on this journey. Stay strong, my friend. Keep writing your brilliant poems. I see books, (so I can buy them, LOL. I am such a slave-driver.)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Sherry - books would be good...and a large cash sum to have a little break - aah! onwards and onwards xo
DeleteWonderful read. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteZQ
Thanks ZQ
DeleteMy oh my I feel as if we are coming to the climax here as we contemplate the realizations of life....much to ponder in this piece! I enjoyed the voyage!
ReplyDeleteDonna@LivingFromHappiness
Thank you Donna - sometimes I'd prefer a less philosophical daily voyage but always a pleasure to have you come along with us..
DeleteYou cannot lose what was never there. That is true. You cannot miss it either.Sort of a cry for help resounding in the wilderness.What can be more dangerous than an enemy I wonder?
ReplyDeleteGood point thank you Cressida... i believe the young people call them frenemy's! But since I'm not young I call her Alice..or if I'm honest j ;)
DeleteA cascade of tears: evocative words and images that evoke that lost-and-adift ache and anguish skewed perception that traumatic loss confers. A visceral and haunting piece.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your insightful comment Wendy..much appreciated
DeleteTime skips rope on the spot...that line defined this wonderful poem for me...
ReplyDeleteThank you very much thotpurge...
DeleteSo many wonderful lines in this, Jae Rose!! Your writing is brilliant :) 'You can't lose what was never there'. Sometimes that's a hard realization to accept!
ReplyDeleteIt is but hopefully one that can help 'you' move forward..thanks very much Torie :)
Delete"I plant my feet / Look in the mirror / Try to find the real story / Written on my skin"---Jae, I wish I'd written these lines. It will leave to me all throughout the day. Thanks for the poem!
ReplyDeleteThanks also for your lovely comment Kelvin...
DeleteLooks like I didn't leave a comment previously--this is lovely writing.
ReplyDeleteThank you scibbles (you did...it popped up on a previous post and i found it so thanks!)
Delete"At the eleventh hour we lose mummy
ReplyDeleteLike daddy
Almost
But not real
The solvents make this strange city repeat itself."
I've live in the city where when it rains you could almost believe the sky scrapers could be melting...
And loss... well there is just too darn much of that. Dementia in the living is just like a loss of death...almost.
Thanks for stopping by my piece. I jiggled a few words - all fiction, but one never does know...
Thank you kindly Jules..and fiction and truth can be a jiggly thing!
Delete"Asleep in our secrets" is a great image. I like it.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much GL
DeleteI'm delighted to see you use "petrichor," a word that I learned only within the last year, in your poem.
ReplyDeleteTimeless Tales
Thank you Magical...glad to share a word..it always feels nice ;)
DeleteI love the repetitions going on in the poem, Jae.
ReplyDeleteRocks and rain
Petrichor
Pleasant
Poem
I too liked the petrichor word, and it's almost like the poem has that fragrance!
Thanks very much Vinay!
DeleteI love the ability to change the tune we're repeating all the time sometimes unconsciously... good for you to observe it, and dare to change it! Hugs :)x
ReplyDeleteThank you very much humbird... :) x
DeleteWow wow wow.. the sounds, memories caught like a passing radio station and phrases like "The solvents make this strange city repeat itself. " and "Her lips flutter//
ReplyDeleteTrying to catch the last song//Sitting in the air" I may have to bookmark this one :D
Thank you very much Rose - what a wonderful way of putting it 'passing a radio station' (there's a story or two in that!)...thank you - and for the add :)
DeleteSuch careful pacing. Haunting...
ReplyDeleteThank you Claire - much appreciated
DeleteThose damn cans and solvents. I'd like to call the cleaning lady to clear the space and put in their place only natural, organic and healthy options. And I'd have her lay tea and biscuits and draw a warm and caressing bubble bath. That's what I'd like to do.
ReplyDeleteAnd you just did..(metaphorically)... thank you - as ever and always Kim
DeleteThere is a pain and loss and a feeling of otherworldly reality in this poem. The illustration looks as though it is a note containing the seeds from which the poem grew.
ReplyDeleteIt is exactly that - on all counts - thank you kindly Nicholas
Delete