Wednesday, 1 October 2014

Cinnamon

Let's put our love in the cinnamon box 
Where no one else can see 
She chuckles
Baby lost her head
We would like to think it is 
Beaten broken barren inside
But it never shuts up
On and on and on

Nothing measures up to the first choice the last choice the only choice

The smell of outside dying
Never matches the shining decay of my soul

I quietly crumble like apples in a pie
Baby lost half her head
Well put it together silly

Rabbit has forgotten who we are

I am not beyond help
Help is beyond me

You worry too much
And not enough

Let's take jesus out with us today
He wrote the bestest book
Full of angels and stars and rainbows
You should always remember he made you
And you made me 
Quite a fancy little circle silly
Like birdies in a pie

I don’t understand Alice
How nothing can become so intense
Too much
Too little
All and nothing
All at once

They are such silly little girls 
Comparing stitches and bows

Our seams are so big nobody sees
Not any more Alice 

But it's not the stitches and bows
It's us
Me
I can no longer be seen

Underneath the laundry the fire is so safe

Let's put our love in the cinnamon box 
Where no one else can see 

You are my sweetest dream Alice
My sweetest baby girl.

46 comments:

  1. I love to find love in the cinnamon box! And I love that nothing too intense all and nothing, all at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon boxes are sweet treasures...thank you kindly Annell xo

      Delete
  2. Another powerful piece, Jae. I especially like:

    The smell of outside dying
    Never matches the shining decay of my soul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of putting love in a cinnamon box, as love should have a sweet scent, I believe. I am never sure what to make of those birds in a pie. I think it would be quite a fright to open a pie and have blackbirds fly out, and even more frightening (as the nursery rhyme goes) to have one peck off the maid's nose. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the birdies in the pie were a flashpoint of darkness...cinnamon though always good! Thank you Mary..peaceful Wednesday to you

      Delete
  4. 'Let's put our love in the cinnamon box
    Where no one else can see ' - I like how these lines (almost) frame your poem, Jae. I cannot say I have such a strong relationship with any children's books character but a few are still very present in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gabriella...Alice only came to me when I was 'grown up'..perhaps you were busy having fun in the real world instead..I hope so...

      Delete
  5. Rabbits are like that. Why worry about not being seen ? Being seen = rotten cabbages being pelted at you. Best be the invisible sugar plum fairy. There is enough in your circle anyway. You have Alice, Birdies, Jesus and Rabbit. More than enough:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough I have wide circle of imaginary friends but I really should get out more! Thanks Rallentanda ;)

      Delete
  6. Jae, your poems are always so wonderful, and this one even more so. I love the note of childish sillyness - you have captured childhood's voice exactly....love "let's put our love in the cinnamon box where no one else can see." Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sherry - perhaps it takes one to know one as the saying goes - em the childish voice... Thank you wonderfully

      Delete
  7. stay safe and happy if you need to hide in the cinnamon box do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheilagh...there are certainly worse places to hide

      Delete
  8. Umm, a box that smells like cinnamon! Though at first it sounds like parents punishing/abusing a child. And she finds a playmate. I like the way you fold in the nursery rhymes and Jesus, under the heaps of laundry with her and Alice where nothing-that great intensity--can not be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps that would be the miss mash of surviving I guess - sweetness and laundry piles muddled up and trying to make sense of the world..any world! Thank you Susan

      Delete
  9. so alive with flavors and scents and silly girls. Thanks for sharing this sweet moment with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Moonie....I am glad you could join us :)

      Delete
  10. "I am not beyond help. Help is beyond me" This line really moved me, perhaps because it is so often true. Or perhaps more accurately, the nearest help is not the help we need and we must somehow find the courage to struggle through to the place where our needs can be met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann..And what the hardest struggle that is...harder than the original problem you started with which eventually mutates and becomes long forgotten...

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Multiple times I think (other) Alice..thank you

      Delete
  12. I'm pretty sure this would not have been out of place in 'Through the Looking Glass', delectable daftness and has left me unaccountably hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you loupmojo....we are delicately daft but we can offer you cake and tea!

      Delete
  13. your poetry is always intriguing,,,!

    ReplyDelete
  14. another golden childhood! very happy and exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's a powerful statement! I hope you can open that cinnamon box and have a few treats now and then, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will try our best...thank you very much Rosemary

      Delete
  16. Oh, that poignant longing of this beautiful piece Jae. Your poetry whispers secrets and sadness but we laugh because we think we have seen a rabbit scamper across the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg...it works with words but in the real world it leads me down the rabbit hole that's for sur

      Delete
  17. Cinnamon is so interesting in the way it smells so good and tastes so good when mixed with something else but on its own will choke you up...beautiful painful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of the possibility of neat or mixed cinnamon - thanks for illuminating that Erin...and thank you for your comment too!

      Delete
  18. Oh, dear, hold on at your cinnamon box. Time will come... Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are holding tightly...thank you humbird xo

      Delete
  19. What a great poem, so full of emotions and dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. Thank you Dee - now you're making me cry...but in a lovely way...thank you

      Delete
  21. This is lovely. And sad. And worrying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J Cosmo...i think you have adequately described my state of mind (though maybe not the lovely bit)

      Delete
  22. I rode the waves of emotion in this one, J, and felt the gritty sea sand a time or two. And then the tides calm and feel better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebb and flow....think the grains are gritty at the moment...but grit can exfoliate...I suppose...thank you Kim

      Delete