Sunday, 15 December 2013

Thirteen

Thirteen
Under clay
The simple angel
Snatched me down
Wrapped me safely
In a box
Blue
Blanket
Cover
Waves
Ringing in pairs
Like a bell
Fixing things
Quietly
Under the splinter bed
A trap door
A rabbit hole
A little girl
A pale blue dress
A pretty face
Dashed like pepper
Weathering the lies
Thirteen
Under clay
They tried to rip us apart
Simple angel
Unpeel me like a powder purse
Tear my head from the sky

Thirteen
Simple angel
Under clay

Trip skip and hug the floor
We are on the bright side of the moon
Wiping the clay from our eyes
As it shines

It was not luck
We tremble
We clawed our way out
Three hundred and sixteen days
Seven thousand five hundred and eighty four hours
A boulder behind us
In our throats
That one day we may swallow

Lucky thirteen.

46 comments:

  1. Makes me want to skip rope! wonderful rhythm in this one. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If i wasn't old and creaky would join you! Thank you miskmask..

      Delete
  2. Oh, I want to wrap in a warm blanket of hugs, this little girl in a pale blue dress. Well wordled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you survived. I'm so glad you clawed your way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann..with some help..of course..

      Delete
  4. that last stanza makes this poem for me....the year as the rock we may one day swallow....yet we made it through

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian..i think that rock is going to require a fair bit of chewing..but eventually

      Delete
  5. This is just a gorgeous spill of words.
    Trip skip and hug the floor
    "We are on the bright side of the moon
    Wiping the clay from our eyes
    As it shines"
    YES.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luck is a good thing, but usually it takes working, clawing to make things worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..it is always a combination..thank you Robyn

      Delete
  7. And I am so very happy for you!!! The poem says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fun to read out loud!
    So many cool lines. These are my favorite:
    "Unpeel me like a powder purse"
    "Trip skip and hug the floor"
    "We are on the bright side of the moon"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that day I have to swallow a boulder.. that would be the 13th day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..boulders take a lot of water to shift..thanks Bjorn

      Delete
  10. Welcome back to the bright side of the moon. May you always shine brightly Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg..flickering tentatively over here..mainly zoning out..which is good

      Delete
  11. Oh...."13, simple angel, under clay" --your words always challenge me, Jae. Truthfully, I have always found '13' to be a lucky number for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..me too..there are certainly worse things to be afraid of..thank you Mary

      Delete
  12. Trip skip and hug the floor
    We are on the bright side of the moon
    Wiping the clay from our eyes

    One often face such situations. On waking up one finds things not in perspectives. One then works to better them. I read it such. Nicely Jae!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try..though we slip and trip also..thank you Hank

      Delete
  13. Much growing pains as a thirteen year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 times 3 ..even more painful..thanks Bethe

      Delete
  14. We learn to move on and grow! Seasons greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we do..if we're lucky..seasons greetings and thank you Akila

      Delete
  15. At times it had an 'Alice in Wonderland' feel but then it would go much darker, suddenly. A complex work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J Cosmo..we would like to be in Wonderland..but always seem to stray past the flamingoes into something a bit more dismal..curious indeed..

      Delete
  16. Trip skip and hug the floor
    We are on the bright side of the moon
    Wiping the clay from our eyes
    As it shines

    I love that part, Jae. Your work always fascinates me, and brings to more than one read. So glad you whirl with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Brenda..always a pleasure to give it a whirl..

      Delete
  17. My sister once told me that I often bite off more than I can chew. That boulder we swallow takes time and as you said above, lots of water. Water is the symbol of life, aren't we the lucky ones? The tripping, skipping, and hugging the floor are all parts of it and the clay we wipe from our eyes in order to stand on the bright side of the moon. This one sings Jae, and I love the song.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sisters are wise..they meet you at the chorus..good to be singing..thank you Elizabeth

      Delete
  18. Whimsical, yet dark. A very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Powerful!
    Tammie
    www.mycuplifted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I could pinpoint the thing - the very thing that makes your voice yours...there is a gentleness in the way you handle words, whether they depict pain and dismal circumstance, or hope. There is a caring that shines out of you no matter what you write. It is an amazing voice from an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the celebration, and I know what it is. Blessings to you, honey, as the comforts of home make themselves known to you, one by one. And screw the boulder! It can roll over somebody else this time... Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy..you're right they do reveal themselves..wish I had the fizz and ginger to kick away the boulder..with a little help..yep..nudged away a bit..thank you x

      Delete