Sunday, 25 August 2013

Red Line

I have red lines
On the bottom of my shoes
As the police car
Passes by
I sit on the
Junk bench
I want it
And I don’t
Like pieces
In a kaleidoscope
Trying to make pretty
Something fierce
Keeps me safe
Something that cries
Enough
The lines
The car
The junk
The bench
The powder
The cause
Effect
Solution
The wasp lingers
Around my hand
Chasing the spilt sugar
I know the way out
Always have done
Soon Soon
Me and Alice
Will be chasing south
Like a runaway train
Smile as broad
As a solitary track
We hope We hope
Keep quiet
Shh
Do not spill the secret
Filter every word and movement
Before the bad people
The jumpers
Sabotage
Wreck
And spoil
One throws up in the corridor
One looks to check you’re looking
We will not miss
We will not miss
This

The rain washes
Away
The red lines
The car is chasing
Someone else
I am down the road
Far away from that
Never will we double back
Never will I double back
Skinny men holding bruised arms
Shitting up fear in filthy toilets
Wired up
Racing
It must be gone
Blown away
Like Dorothy Gale
Gusted back to black and white
To what is safe
To what is real.

20 comments:

  1. Keeping it real can be the hardest thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..magical thinking is much easier..thank you Stan..

      Delete
  2. I hope you get to your safe place soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jae Rose, a vivid and somewhat disturbing scene here. I felt as if I were watching a movie. Well wordled.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Pamela..i think it came from a lot of sights seen this week..

      Delete
  4. as always, an excellent read and now my mind is spinning...thinking...waking up...that's good. The coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the coffee kicked in and the head stopped spinning..and like Dorothy you landed back safely..thank you Old Grizz..

      Delete
  5. Powerful and great use of repetition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just keep your end of it up, dear Jae, and batten the hatches as required per N, because even if Alice and Uncle Bill show up and Bill blasts the lock off the door and the March Hare runs interference while Alice grabs you, you’ve got to have your ducks in a row to make it down that rabbit hole, capiche? Yes, and then we’ll all commune! and if you’ve got any pull outside, please tell Ms Gale to bring Toto along, ‘cause you know I’m dogless and it’d do me a world of good to fuss over a furball for a moment in time, you know because Mr G isn’t a pet person ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms Z..always play my hand dutifully..we will skip through tornadoes and find ourselves a Toto..shooting my own way out (so to speak)..sending you a virtual doggie to be by your side.. x

      Delete
  7. What a gritty tale you tell us here of great determination to survive while others fall. May the sun be on your face and the scent of home be strong as you find your way back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg..what a beautiful comment :)

      Delete
  8. Yes...you have the plan..keep it to yourself . No more u turns on the road..after this you wont even be tempted to.Head south to olive groves and sunshine. Bliss out on the smooth skins of oranges.
    New beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rallentanda..more seaside and ice creams but still cheery as fresh oranges to know soon soon..thanks ;)

      Delete
  9. Jae, this is utterly unique, as all your work is, deeply and darkly personal. I'm pulling for you and Alice. There is so much about others in here - their "jobs," their ways of passing time, as though you are peeking at them from around a corner, and I liked that! Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Amy..I see as much as they don't! thanks for helping to pull me and Alice up and out of the hole.. x

      Delete