Wednesday, 7 August 2013

First Day

On the second day
The birds wept
And the world fell
My head
Was tethered to the clouds
By a thread of gravity
A sense of being
Stuck
In a world
In which
I cannot draw breath
My shoes squeak
Along the sodden path
In my hand is salt
I wait
For the moment
At which to throw it
Salt and water
That is the solution
The plans of each falling
Pigeon and Crow
Directionless and All
They show me
How to stay and
How to leave
Amidst the collapse
Of air and water
The salt stings my skin
As I sweat
Ready
Ready
Ready
(But not yet)
I must abide
By the shadows of each minute
Cast upon my shoulder like
Stone
Brick dust
Sick dust
Bad dust
I hoist my black trousers
Dry my feet on the grass
Ready
Ready
Ready
To run
(But not yet)


On the third day
The world was silent
And my breath
Boomed within my skull
The salt and water
Flushed my thoughts
And I was empty
I had no shadow and no form

It smelt like rain
Grass chewed up in blood
The excitement filled me
Like the song of a thousand birds
A thousand minutes free
From this cement
You set me in
And I smile
I am
Ready
Ready
Ready.



12 comments:

  1. It is hard to be stuck in a world in which one cannot draw breath. One really has to be free to BREATHE in FRESH air......not air filled with brick dust, sick dust, bad dust!

    Always glad to see your words, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary..and always glad to see you too..hope you are well x

      Delete
  2. The salt and water are interesting. Your phrasing is beautiful, and I love the addition of pigeon and crow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much undercaws..we both seem gravitated towards birds..they can be good augers..(if that's how it's spelt :~)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like things may be taking a turn for the better. I hope so. I finally got your New Orleans things in the mail. It's a small package and should arrive quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann - I got your beautiful postcard too..it looks thick with mystery.. thank you x

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful and powerful piece of writing Jae. May the thousand birds keep singing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you OldEgg..sending some bird twitter back :)

      Delete
  5. and I smile - I'm glad you are Jae. And the echo of silence in the day, time to think, hopefully positive things. A beautiful piece. x

    ReplyDelete