We drink silver
And eat stones
I clean my fingers in the rain
Put the sadness in my shoes and jump
We move like spiders hiding from the storm
From bench to bench
Rust falls like pepper on our bread
Feast of feasts
Rust falls like petals on our feet
Dust to dust
Hair falls out in clumps
This is a new day
But not
We run and the bridge bows
Head dips
Wood bounces
Water comes close to our toes
Electricity gnaws through us
Eats inside
nibble crunch spit
I lick the dirt
The silver sticks inside and makes me choke
The stones mop up the blood
My fingers wrap around your hair
Another day is lost
The car is in the window
They think they can’t be seen
Like me
But things can always be seen
A little alchemy
A little loss
A little static stops the thoughts
We forget all we know
A glass of pink
A pinch of powder
When we drink the silver
We cannot be caught.
I like the short phrases in this piece, they give a good description of choking on life, little irritants that can be seen by no one, so no one understands. The silver is unpalatable but is your defence against the world. Gut wrenching as usual Jae.
ReplyDeleteThank you OldEgg..the world certainly seems hard to stomach right now..
ReplyDeleteI can picture moving like spiders in the rain. Somehow, despite the downpours, they manage to survive.
ReplyDeleteDrinking the silver is a very vivid image.
I like the put "sadness into our shoes and jump. And the rusty petals"... Silver and Stones very beautiful! So many places we see silver and stones, in the river, in the night sky, in our dreams...and so many more.
ReplyDeleteYou write incredibly vivid and powerful phrases here, Jae. In just this one...
ReplyDelete"We run and the bridge bows
Head dips
Wood bounces
Water comes close to our toes"
... with all senses, you put me on that bridge. Great writing.You lead me to want more. How did that water smell, I wonder? Was it cold and damp? Hot and humid? You masterfully led me into the scene. You are good.
Thank you Mary..i guess spiders are quiet survivors of the rains..
ReplyDeleteI am glad you like the colours and textures Annell..maybe they are waiting to be turned into a painting..thank you..
I would love for you to be there Kim..maybe it would be a different day..and sunny..and we could toss some bread to the ducks..thank you..
It is like you are hinting at some hidden secrets of the universe.
ReplyDeleteMore.
Rock on!
Secrets or curses..thank you Rex..as long as there's silver the words will keep churning..(i hope)
ReplyDeleteI've been to that place where one seeks ways to forget. Static and alchemy. But thoughts don't stay stopped. The world remains, no matter how we might wish it to go away. It's persistent.
ReplyDeleteYou have the most interesting stream of consciousness :)
ReplyDeleteLike gum on a shoe..yes indeed Ann..thank you..you give me glimpses of when the persistence is a bit more tolerable..
ReplyDeleteThat's a very kind way of saying..thank you Ben..
Just called by to say hi. I don't know anything at the moment except that I do not like ducks.
ReplyDeleteDucks can be tricky fuckers it's true..too know that is a good thing..always a pleasure thank you Rallentanda..
ReplyDeleteTo choke on the luxury of silver, the whole world becomes anathema.
ReplyDeleteExcellent writing Jae.
Thank you Alice.. I love your comment..
ReplyDeleteA little static stops the thoughts! I love that line because it is true. Great writing!
ReplyDeleteThank you Belva..
ReplyDelete