My shirt sleeve turns russet like apple
Apple
Green and red
Red
A world
To bite
Lick and chew
I am lost in the smoke
Drowned in the hours
Changed
But not
more stuck and sticky than what they say is stuck and sticky
there is freedom in the mud like clots like paint on myself on my arm slipping
off my face in the water on the bridge on the bench painted white cross red
cross russet cross shirt sleeve hanging wet in the wind on a hanger by the
window not seen so tired so empty but weighted down drowning stuck
Feet swollen
Head out of line
All out of line
The prayer written and left by her feet means nothing
Black lines in the dark
Water disappeared dry and dust
Rust in the stoup
I hold the glass in my hand like a talisman
All I have lost
All I wait to be again
I miss myself
I miss myself
All she has lost
All she waits to be again
I hold the glass like a talisman
I will be
I will be
But not.
I think we all miss ourselves; who we were before. So when we try to find a new person we are disappointed that it isn't us. Is a butterfly disappointed that it is no longer a caterpillar? The sun comes up and we must be a person to fit that day not the one from yesterday. Well it makes sense to me, but I do miss me too.
ReplyDeleteLost and found ... missing the past we ... well written poem !!!
ReplyDeleteYes, life is all about lost and found, in each moment, all is lost and yet, still all is found. Lovely piece....
ReplyDeleteWe are never lost, only hiding. One of the many lies they tell us is that they know where we have hidden and can lead us back.
ReplyDeleteWhen we quit believing that others know the way, the path becomes clear.
I love your line about the prayer. Prayers assuage the guilt of those who think magic is needed, but we must make our own magic.
I hope all is well with you. I missed seeing a poem from you on 3WW, but I know sometimes we just aren't feeling it. :(
Wonderfully worded thoughts on being! We cannot find the old self, we cannot make the new, we can only be what we are in the moment.
ReplyDeleteI once wrote a poem about missing myself too.
ReplyDeleteIt started something like.....
"When someone says they miss me
I say I miss me too....."
And I go on to say all the things I miss about my former self. I could write the same poem again today and the things I miss about my old self would be different than in that poem. I definitely understand this kind of missing.
Thank you all for your comments..greatly appreciated..as ever..may take a little longer to get around to your posts this week..but will get there..thankyouthankyou..
ReplyDeleteJae, I just came out of a place where I was truly lost. I know that hide and seek is not a game for kids, or for folks who cannot take it. That is what I got from this, and it gave me hope. Thank you and bless you. IF you have time, and only if:
ReplyDeletehttp://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/08/13/broken-angel-sun-scribs-dverse-first-half-for-bloomings/
Love, Amy
Thank you Amy..I am glad you are edging away from lost..maybe we can meet there for a nice cup of tea..thank you..
ReplyDeleteThe lost potential resonates with me.
ReplyDeleteYes..Alice trying to forget would could be doesn't really work all that well..thank you..
ReplyDelete