Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Butterfly Effect


I keep finding stones on the floor
I sweep them away
But they come back
They always come back
Not soft
Not like pillows
Or sleep
That thing that murmurs
In my ear
That takes
Me to the floor at 3am
I write in pencil
It disappears by morning
Not important enough to stay for a few more hours
The sink has taken me again
It is not important enough to be seen
I walk up the hill across the grass and the dandelions cling to my shoes it is nice
Nice until I reach the bench and see the dirt
On my toes
On my hands
In my head
I walk away
I always walk away
Incomplete
Undone
We were not allowed to speak
That’s what I want to say
I stand in the kitchen
The jitters as old as the plans
There is nothing left to be scared of
But it wears me away
Still
The grind of wings across my skull
Changing everything and nothing
I am turned to stone
Falling on the floor
Without noise
Without sound
I fill my ears with her voice
My hand with powder
My body with dust
I stand in the kitchen
Not sure
Keeping old lists
Forgetting new thoughts
I look at my hands
I look at my face
Falling like stone on the floor.

29 comments:

  1. I always read you at least three times...and you amaze me..indeed Jae..you do let the pieces keep coming out one by one...and it's alright..let them..keep coming..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those stones... I, too, must regularly practice their removal. I suppose that is part of life, the routine or maintenance and care. The wings on skull metaphor is vivid and unique; the accumulation of dirt an excellent one as well. Exhaustion, in the end, is the pervading tone here. Just. So. Tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jae, each week you write with such weary emotion. You touch a part of us that is so easy to try to ignore. Once again--well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have to read your poems several times. There are so many layers in there, each word carefully chosen and placed perfectly. Crafted amongst the stones and soil, a butterfly wing beating carefully and delicately. So much emotion in there as well. I do love your poems x

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes life makes you so tired especially when you have to keep sweeping those stones away but we persevere and move forward.
    I love your poems Jae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very. Tired..Kim..if only the stones would turn to nice warm sand..to lie on..sip a cool juice with an umbrella in..thank you for spotting what those in front of me do not (as ever)..

    Thank you very much Mary..

    And I do love your comments Dandelion Girl thank you (and I thought of you when the dandelions flew in the breeze)..

    Thank you Sheilagh..thanks for helping with the sweeping up..

    ReplyDelete
  7. As was the case with other commentors, I read this three times, then taking bits and pieces....Feels like the narrator is sad, frustrated, empty, introspective....great emotions

    ReplyDelete
  8. An incredible write. Such an astute portrayal of exhaustion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It always takes me awhile to comment because your writing is so full of nuances.

    All the pretty things in life (like dandelions) come with dirt. We shouldn't let that bother us.

    And the stones...well, my Buddhist faith teaches me that pain is inevitable but it is we who choose to pick at our pain and turn it into suffering. Stones are in everyone's life. It is your choice whether to avoid them or lie on them.

    Love you, girl. I hope today is full of softness and yellow flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a very wise man once said, you cannot move a mountain but, if you move something stone by stone, eventually you find the moutain, moved. something like that anyway.
    I wish there was a magic wand to wave I would wish for so many bright and wonderful things for you Jae but, then, maybe if you were not deeply soul searching anymore you might lose your creativity and, I would never wish for that. You are too talented not to write.
    Just don't ever stop getting back up each time you fall.
    Gentle hugs Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sadness and regret permeate this beautiful piece of writing. Dirt on your hands and mud between the toes are not bad. And the stones? Our family always had such great fun searching for stones on the beach trying to find the most beautiful one to beat all the others. However it is what we are inside that counts not outwardly. There is always so much more that we can do to erase the past. Your written work certainly stirs great emotion in your readers Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a tradition of stacking stones, as homage, as an alter, as a memory. Maybe there is reason to hold onto these stones rather than sweeping them away. In certain cultures, things are placed underneath the stones, tangible and figurative. Possibly, the weight of the stones will hold things in place for you. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous jae, you write/feel so still, so strong. your interiour-ness is your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for taking the time to read and re-read Joanne..and for your comment..

    Thanks very much Karen..

    Thank you Ann..you always leave me feeling encouraged..from the inside out maybe..thank you for the softness wishes and dust free yellow flowers..

    Thank you so Daydreamer..piece by piece..i know there is no magic wand..the words people leave here are a little touch of magic..and help me get up when I stumble..so thank you..

    Thank you OldEgg..collecting pebbles and stones can be a lovely thing to do..outside stones..let's stay clear of kidney stones and gallstones perhaps! thank you..

    Thanks Angel..

    Thank you Archna..hadn't thought of them as an anchor..maybe also keeps the hands busy to rest the head..

    Thank you Paige..is it too late to get a refund?..only teasing..thank you so..and for following too..

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jae: Thanks for coming by my blog...and for the "welcome back" -- it's good to be back to 3WW.

    Reading this poem reminds me of how very good you are at bringing your words full circle. Superb!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im not big on pebbles The idea of white sand umbrella and cool drinks
    is the go.God has put you in the wrong hemisphere. Why? Because you produce good poetry there. If you were here you would become thoroughly hedonistic and decadent and not write anything OR maybe
    you would and become a bikini clad beach babe eyeing off the lifesavers. Sorry jae ..I'm planet hopping at the moment (giggles)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The part about walking across clingy grass and dandelions and ending up with mud reminds me of walking through the park with my dd a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Paula..and for completing the comment circle..

    Planet hopping is good Rallentanda..I hop around many planets..can you imagine what sun and beaches and chilly beer might do for j..bikini..horror filled..but mm chilly beer and sun..

    Thank you Alice..I am glad it brought to mind a good memory..

    ReplyDelete
  19. This flows so rhythmically inside my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad it did so..thank you Ben..

    ReplyDelete
  21. great stuff. favorites: it wears me away (took me away with it), and the sink has taken me again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. fantastic ...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Ed..the joists of the lines once again found..thank you..

    Thanks BS..

    jae

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your fragmented run-on lines say so much more than full fledged sentences cold. Nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jae, your poetry does need to be reread, to drink in not only the sadness, but those nuances of hope. Keeping old lists; forgetting new thoughts is quite like me, I think. But the line, "The jitters as old as the plans," is a phrase with legs, with rooms to explore... Strong, and say strong, my dear. Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/06/14/we-interrupt-your-regularly-scheduled-programming/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you Amy - to be honest I rarely read them more than once either..;)

    ReplyDelete