Sunday, 12 January 2025

The Sun

These are my meditations on the sun: 


The birds are asleep, silently, in the barn 

They have hunted and gathered

And now close their eyes, sated, until dawn 


My little companion creeps up the stairs 

Past the cobwebs and the boxes

Past the window and the memory 

Of the moon and sun changing places

A smile upon her face 

A day well worn and finished 

Soon to be underlined with dreams

Thick as clotted cream 


My favourite doll is lost forever 

I used to pretend we were taking tea

Make plans around the oblong table 

Push our cakes on the tea trolley 

Fill my face with the best sweetness 

I could imagine 

Tears of laughter leaking from my eyes

A happy note on which to go to bed


The navy blue sky peppered with stars

Hides the tick and flow of traffic 

A blanket of softness to lull me into magical sleep

That special state of being 

Where my wildest worlds and dreamings

Come to life, bold as birds, arcing in the sky


Everything is balanced when the moon and sun 

Complete their journeys 

When I follow their path from white into orange 

Darkness into light

Dreaming into waking 


The sun and the moon are one and another

A beautiful, natural, friend

As glowing as her cheeks

As she rests her head upon her pillow

As magnificent as a bird

Always watching, keeping guard


This is the cycle of life

And my place within it

As delicate as breath 

As certain as the tides

As warm and welcoming as a friendly hand in mine

A moment as beautiful as an eclipse 

That I try to capture in black ink on white paper

Something that might last forever

Like firefly thoughts collected in a jar

An everlasting light to shine upon my way. 


9 comments:

  1. This is truly beautiful, Jae. I love all the memories....and the imagery. And the birds - I love birds in a poem. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your meditations. And, yes, the cycle of life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous poem, Jae .... positivity, wonder, awe dripping from each line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it that you continued the theme of restorative light that appears in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that balance of sun and moon -- and especially where they merge or "eclipse" - is the point of poetry. So well said here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A contentment and an exuberance of life lived under the light of moon and sun. Beautiful, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful. It brought me peace today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely tumble of meditations, Jae. A pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete