Thursday, 23 January 2025

Brain Rot

I dip a toe in the Rabbit Hole

It is at once frightening and familiar

A calculated risk

An old friend or an enemy 

That I can’t decide 

I have come so far

But there are still more steps to take

More sentences in the story

More pages to fill

And covers to bind 

I imagine a beige book

With a red ribbon book mark

Thick blue ink

And rich vellum paper

Doughy like fresh bread

Just like home - my place of being

I do not want my brain to rot

I want to see the clouds passing in the sky

To hear the owl hooting in the trees

Just as I wake up and make tea

I want to walk without shaking

Dream without sweating

Stop waking up in a panic I cannot explain 

Perhaps I was curious

Perhaps I was unwell

Treading over past thoughts and scares

But I know I cannot return to that dark place

I must keep moving forward

Enjoying my small pleasures

See the moon illuminate the sky

Feel the sun warming my bones again

Feed my brain - not destroy it

I will stay on the wise path, of that I am certain

And that thought makes my happy

Happier than the false chills of a brief hallucinatory delight. 

6 comments:

  1. Small pleasures are great blessings! I am glad that the book of your life is to be a triumph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep moving forward Jae, there are no other viable options.
    As for your brain rotting: I see no sign of it yet. But is my brain in a fit state to tell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feed my brain - not destroy it... quite right, with so much content at our fingertips, it is up to us to stay out of the rabbit hole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for that ending. "I want to walk without shaking /
    Dream without sweating" chilled my soul for a bit. Then came the warmth, the reminder that (sometimes) we can choose better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those closing lines really say it all and so well, Jae. I love the phrase "the wise path"..........perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Close the rabbit hole. You do not need it any longer.

    ReplyDelete