My kindred spirit waits for me
Like a memory in the attic
An old bronze coin
Or a treasured skull
She looks out for me
Amongst the ashes
In my dreams
I am like a wild horse
Kicking the waves
Running free
Sensations so deep
They make me dizzy
I look up, reading the map of stars
Struggling not to blink
In case they vanish
It feels as if my life
Has been both a long and short trip
That there is much to learn
About being a woman
A knack of understanding
I must nurture and let grow
I look forward to summer
When apples are swapped for peaches
When sugar spills down my lips
And my hunger for sweetness is sated
I must trust my kindred spirit
Know that she will guide me
Bright as the North Star
I will let her out of the attic
Place my hand in hers
- And fly.
For Shay's Word Garden
Beautiful post
ReplyDeleteOh, this is a lovely read. Your opening stanza drew me right in. I so enjoyed the trip down the page to your wonderfully uplifting closing lines. Just beautiful.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a plan for sure! Spread your wings and rise.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of being like a wild horse, kicking the waves, running free!! It sounds so wonderfully happy.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful liberating poem.
ReplyDeleteDo it, Jae! This made me smile!
ReplyDeleteYes, trust your kindred spirit and open your wings and fly!
ReplyDeleteThis is a freedom we all desire. Beautifully penned, Jae.
ReplyDeleteNice!
ReplyDeleteSometimes we all need to fly.
ReplyDelete