Sunday, 5 January 2025

The Project

When the diagnosis was correct 

And the overload was confirmed 

Everything made sense 

The world bloomed

Like flowers blossoming from a popped balloon

It was a reason why I made my arms an art

Why, when I was little, I danced in circles like a clown 

Laughing to myself (for I didn’t have friends)

Swinging on the swings for hours and hours 

Moving but getting nowhere

Like the walking in circles

In the pouring rain when I was grown 

Sitting in museums, staring at the same exhibit 

Freezing time for it and me 

Putting myself behind glass

Not to be touched

Not be noticed 

There were the years of mania and delusions 

When I numbed myself to not feel emotional 

To quell the fever inside 

This new word for what is ‘wrong’ 

Keeps reminding me that is ok 

Not to be normal 

That I do not have to be a human with finesse 

That I can eat my breakfast at two am 

And lunch at nine thirty 

Now I am left alone by medics and hospitals

And I am thriving because of it

This is my new project

Learning what it means to be autistic

More importantly learning what it means to be me

My individual, unique, shining self. 

6 comments:

  1. It is more than okay to be your unique, shining self, Jae, and we are delighted to know you and read your magical poems. I love the image of flowers blossoming from a popped balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it was after the diagnosis that you began to shine, and in each poem you write you glow! I had an autistic boy in class, and he was brilliant. He had idiosyncracies, but don't we all! Keep writing and thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you did there with the title! Indeed, if we are not our own project, any other project is going to fail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sweet discovery and.a daily one, self-discovery: how else can the world bloom for you, your "arms an art" in dance, your eyes seeing what others ignore or cannot? Lonely but whole is what everyone is finally with self-acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it from title to end of poem. If we aren't our own project, then we are forcing ourselves to be someone else's. Yeah for being you!

    ReplyDelete