How we will get
From here
To there
She asks
I look at the swirling water
The river that runs
Through this town
Well Little Cricket
I think we will
Have to go over the bridge
She holds my hand
Her fingers
Pulse with electricity
Excitement
Maybe a little fear
We are both used
To falling
And will hug the wall
Of the old stone bridge
We will walk
Step by step
No gaps between us
We do not know
Quite what is over the bridge
But it is where we
Have to travel
A journey we must make
As others have done before us
Neither of us think
That once we have crossed over
We will have to come back
Perhaps when we do
The sky will be peppered
With stars and milk white moonbeams
We take a deep breath
Cling firmly to each other
And take our first steps
Over the bridge.
The first steps across a bridge are often the hardest, but one won't find out what is on the other side unless one keeps walking. Taking a deep breath helps!
ReplyDeleteI love this 'excitement' and also this 'fear' for this first step. "The sky will be peppered / With stars and milk white moonbeams" Ah...this is beauty indeed when darkness is washed away like this.
ReplyDeleteI love this 'excitement' and also this 'fear' for this first step. "The sky will be peppered / With stars and milk white moonbeams" Ah...this is beauty indeed when darkness is washed away like this.
ReplyDeleteI can feel the courage it takes to step onto that bridge to get to where you need to go. I like the thought of the sky peppered with stars and moonbeams on return. Lovely, Jae.
ReplyDelete"We are both used
ReplyDeleteTo falling
And will hug the wall
Of the old stone bridge" Oh, me too, me too! When I was young crossing over a bridge was always the beginning to adventure.
This is such a touching poem of crossing the bridge to freedom, Jae. I love the way you evoke trepidation in the ‘swirling water’ and excitement. I can imagine hugging the wall of the old stone bridge. My favourite lines are:
ReplyDelete‘Perhaps when we do
The sky will be peppered
With stars and milk white moonbeams’.
Ah bridges, such complicated structures and I really liked the journey on this one.
ReplyDelete