Saturday, 17 June 2023

In the Garden

 


You stand against the wall
In the garden
Look at him
Eyes knowing
Just a child 
But so old
Trapped forever 
In somebody else's eyes 
I wish you had come 
To me sooner
I wish that you could grow
Fight back
Just like you did 
In Wonderland 
I wonder what colours 
You wore
Was it a blue dress
Or just the white pinafore 
I like how your head 
Slants
Like asking a question
Asserting your own space
Were there trees in the garden
To climb and play
Were there flowers 
You could sniff 
And escape with 
Cherry blossom maybe
It must be summer
When the branches bloom
Just for a while 
I like that you are with me 
Now
I like that we can be
Just us
No cameras
Only words
To explain ourselves 
Perhaps we are alike
Both trapped and free
I reach for her hand
Happy that we have each other
And can hide the past 
With cakes and tea. 

1 comment:

  1. Is that child in the photo you, Jae? So sweet and already so sad. This poem is a beautiful elegy for all that has been lost - but also a peaen to all that has been gained. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete