Thursday, 29 June 2023

Finishing Touch

We pipe vanilla frosting
On to the top of the 
Fairy cakes
Like the way our lines end
It is our finishing touch
Her hands are sticky
But her eyes are alive
We can cope when it is quiet
The big dog scares us
We huddle up in bed
Try not to hear
Its bark
The thumping of its feet
We place the cakes 
On a pretty plate
And put the kettle
On the stove for tea
It is almost a ritual 
Something simple
With a beginning
And an end
She wipes her hands 
On a napkin
I let cool water
Wash my fingers
Splash a little on my face
The cold helps too
The heat makes us sleepy
But there is still a day to go
Before bed
And dreams
The things we like best 
Perhaps that is
Our finishing touch
Closing our eyes
Both happy 
And sad
That another day 
Has passed. 

5 comments:

  1. Tea and fairy cakes sounds good to me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am especially moved by the last three lines. There is so much joy that can be found in the simple things of life, and such profound sorrow at their passing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poignantly said. Yes, we live side-by-side with the happy and sad, with pleasant tea parties and unpredictable dogs barking outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ritual you so beautifully described, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like "happy and sad that another day has passed."

    ReplyDelete