Thursday, 6 October 2022

On Writing

Our pulse slows
And our heart feels like a cushion
We are writing
At peace
As the letters and words
Fall onto a blank sheet of paper
It is the best thing we do
She giggles and twirls
So many adventures
I wish they weren't all
Nearly blue
But then you can't write happy
If you have never really known it
She sits beside me
Golden blonde hair
Trailing her shoulders
Dress and pinafore 
Washed and ironed
As if today will be a big day
I stop and think
Just what am I trying to say
It is what you show
She answers 
Not what you tell
I think he taught me that
She chews her fingers
But then again
He told a story
So much confusion
I think we should pour the tea
I put my pen down
Feel the relief of having done
Something today
She hands me the cup
And we sit in silence
Enjoying the sweet, golden liquid. 

7 comments:

  1. I love your poems. "It is the best thing we do." I can SEE Alice, looking so pretty, ready for a big day. Love the peaceful sipping of the tea. I am having a cup as I read. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing has been saving my life all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I think we should pour the tea
    I put my pen down
    Feel the relief of having done
    Something today:

    Luv the feeling that writing leaves you with

    Happy Friday Jae

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is what you know, not what you tell ... beautiful words of insight and inspiration. Lovely poetry, Ms. Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some words just demand to be written and given room to express themselves. If they're a bit blue, at least they are fully themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Show, not tell. You certainly do. I feel warmth and sunshine in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely, Jae! I think I'll have a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete