Pursuing The Uncanny - Ralph Eugene Meatyard
She is a ghost
Salt and pepper on her lips
Hair flowing
Fingers happy
Coated in honey and jam
We play by the old trees
She climbs
I watch
Wish I could be nimble
Like her
The smallest things are exciting
When you are little
She giggles
I am too tired for excitement
A cup of tea
And silence keep me happy
That and pursuing the uncanny
With her
She really is an adventurer
So many stories and riddles
No wonder she can't stand still
I like how her movement is captured
It feels like possibility
A progression
I am stuck and solid
As an obelisk
Watching
Idle
Dreaming
Waiting
Always waiting
I have forgotten the colours
But black and white is timeless
In a way
It takes us back
Makes the image sharper
The memory richer
The pursuit much clearer
The ghost made flesh.

This is a very intriguing poem, Jae. I love the story it tells, LOVE "pursuing the uncanny"! "I am stuck and solid as an obelisk" is a very clever description. Well done.
ReplyDelete"The smallest things are exciting
ReplyDeleteWhen you are little"
That is so true! I agree with the narrator, black and white is sharper and timeless.
"Pursuing the uncanny" makes for a pleasant read!
ReplyDeleteAn exquisite poem … sigh.
ReplyDeleteWow! surely therein lies an adventure.
ReplyDeleteMuch💛love
Terrific writing. I love, 'I am stuck and solid / As an obelisk', 'the ghost made flesh', and many more.
ReplyDeleteI love this and find myself inside it as the giggling honey-fingered child.
ReplyDelete