We are waiting
It has been so long
We do not remember what for
Perhaps it is physical
Perhaps it is a song
Will we know when it arrives
Or will it be a surprise
Alice sips her vanilla milk
I nurse my tea
Time clicks on
The birds tweet
The tree moves in the wind
There are worse things
I suppose
She says
Wiping the cream from her lips
It is better to wait
Than to do nothing
I try and think
Is waiting doing nothing
Does it become something
When what you are waiting for arrives
Is it enough in itself
Our heads hurt
So does our skin
Tiny spots of blood
Speckle our cotton clothes
It is not a pattern we wish for any more
Perhaps we are waiting for an end
And when the end comes
We will be gifted with a beginning.
I love the thought of not knowing what I’m waiting for, only knowing when it arrives, and that ‘when the end comes / We will be gifted with a beginning.’
ReplyDeleteI do think all endings are also beginnings, of some kind. Meanwhile, perhaps we can create different patterns which are more to be wished for.
ReplyDeleteI admire the way you produce such vivid details with just a few words, like well placed brush strokes.
Your gently-worded scenarios are always a treat.
ReplyDeleteI love the vanilla milk and tea.....and can feel the waiting. Take care, Jae.
ReplyDeleteyes, a palpable sense of waiting here ~
ReplyDeleteDo we ever know why we have to wait?
ReplyDeleteHappy Wednesday
Much💚love
The mystery of not knowing what we wait for ~ is intriguing.
ReplyDeleteThere is always something comforting in your writing Jae. Regardless of our age it is good to look forward to what more we can do.
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a good point, is waiting doing nothing?
ReplyDeleteEndings bring beginnings. Love this, Jae!
Lovely Poem
ReplyDeleteYes, when the end comes we will be gifted with a new beginning. Appealing lines.
ReplyDelete