The light filters in the window
The red curtains swim and sway
Outside the tree dances
Casting pink petals onto concrete
The birds sing
It is cool
If we stand on tip toes
We can see the green hills
We never thought
We would find home
Perhaps it has found us
Because we both needed
And wanted it
Age makes you want to settle
She whispers
That is why I stay with you
We sip tea
Rest against the pillows
Pull on the softest
Pink socks
Tuck up under the covers
We can spend whole days
Sitting and lying
Gently knowing outside
There is movement
Things passing
We used to think they were wasted days
But they are not painful
So they must be better than before
I can feel the warmth of her body next to mine
It is like a half sleep
A meditation
We are both separate from the world
And part of it
Just how we like it
We say together.
But they are not painful
ReplyDeleteSo they must be better than before
<3
Sounds delightful! (Both indoors and out.)
ReplyDeleteHow good it is to feel settled and comfortable with life. Reading your piece it certainly was relaxing and comforting Jae.
ReplyDeleteYou conjure those interludes so well!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and comforting. I now treasure such days of peace and safety, a blessing to those of us who truly appreciate them.
ReplyDeleteAlways a wonder, I think, when we find someone who feels the world (and about the world) just like we do.
ReplyDeleteI like the images, and use of colour Jae.
ReplyDeleteI think I've enjoyed every poem you have written that I have read.
ReplyDeleteNice one Jae. Happy Wednesday.
ReplyDeleteMuch❤love
"Just how we like it
ReplyDeleteWe say together." Pinkie swear - stay together
In this poem I get a strong feeling of safety and familiarity, Jae, two of the essential things that make a place a home, in this poem I like how you start with the light filtering through window with red curtains, a safe place to watch the world outside – to be both separate and part of it. That’s how I have been feeling during the pandemic. It’s so true that age makes you want to settle, and there is so much comfort in tea, pillows and soft socks.
ReplyDeletewe should all be so fortunate to have such a retreat ~
ReplyDelete