Tuesday, 11 May 2021

Hunted

When we fall asleep
We dream of being hunted
We are running
Gasping for breath
Each inhalation like a blade
In the chest
We cannot find a rhythm 
Our feet are bare
The grass is wet
It tickles our toes 
In the daylight they will be stained 
And green
We do not know what is chasing us
But we know we are scared
We awake with a gasp
Just before the ending 
Perhaps it is a wolf 
She mutters
Quietly
But we are not wearing red
And the wolf hunted 
Another girl 
Perhaps we are hunting ourselves
I think
Trying to find a solution
Working out all the pain and worries
As we run 
Scrolling through thoughts
Finding our feelings
Ones we do not show
In the daytime 
So we are both hunted and hunter
The sun lifts 
We lie awake but tired
How we wish to dream of
Stars and butterflies
We will she says
Tenderly 
If we think hard enough
They will come. 

12 comments:

  1. Scary dreams. I like the lines about being both hunted and hunter.......may your next dreams be full of stars and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have faith the butterflies and stars will come. It is nice to read you, Jae. I just came looking for some of my old friends. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in dreams we are always really both. Though it doesn't often feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be scary. I hardly ever dream, never of being hunted. Perhaps in my writing, yes.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luv this bit if humour in the middle of the intrigue
    "Perhaps it is a wolf
    She mutters
    Quietly
    But we are not wearing red"

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes dream of being lost, but never of being hunted....thank heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you the dreamiest of wonderful dreams ...........

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always amaze me with your lovely train of thought... just gorgeous writing

    As we run
    Scrolling through thoughts

    How we wish to dream of
    Stars and butterflies
    We will she says

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing your next dream is butterflies and stars and sweet rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like the line "perhaps it is a wolf" - great image.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How well you write your poety Jae that mixes dreaming with reality so when you awake you are never suremif it is true or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have woken so many times from that kind of dream, Jae, and identify with the lines:
    ‘Gasping for breath
    Each inhalation like a blade
    In the chest
    We cannot find a rhythm’.
    I love the naivety of Alice thinking it couldn’t be the wolf because it hunted another girl, and they are not wearing red.

    ReplyDelete