Thursday, 4 February 2021

Snowfall

On the night of the snowfall
Moths and fireflies
Dissolve into dawn
The sky is blue
With pink streaks
They glow in the sluggish sky
Little beacons of hope
And light
The clouds are like smoke
She squeals 
We can hide in them 
Until morning
And the return of the sun 
Blades alight
Hearts refusing to fail
In the dark
We watch on
The silver blanket
Hugging the earth
I remember the last snow
Boots leaving trails in the powder
Thoughts weighed down 
Like blankets
Wrapped tight about our shoulders
It feels like a fairy tale
Soft and sweet
But with a biting end
It feels as if we have walked 
Through a thousand winters
There is peace in stopping
Letting the cool flakes
Brush our cheeks
Coat our hair
Like sugar
If we shake
Little flurries
Fall to the ground
I think perhaps 
We are very glad
To be in the night
Of the snowfall. 

11 comments:

  1. Jae, this is one of your most beautiful poems. I was mesmerized as I read......such lovely images........the silver blanket hugging the earth, thoughts weighed down like blankets, hearts refusing to fail..........."It feels as if we have walked through a thousand winters......" Absolutely gorgeous writing. I could feel the deep peace of being out in that snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I agree with Sherry's comment above. Often when caught in a storm or unexpected rainfall it is often a subject for years after with someone saying "Do you remember the night that..." Yes, a really beautiful poem Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful and lyrical write Jae - lifted my spirits on a grey cold and bitter day here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting enveloped in your world. Especially love hearts refusing to fail in the dark, but I first read it as "fall" and that worked too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool flakes on hot cheeks is the best! I love how you point out fairy tale endings can have a bite to them. Not always "happily ever after."

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Soft and sweet
    But with a biting end"

    These lines describe my favorite kind of fairy tales. Love the imagery (and the truth) they convey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incandescent write Jae - lots of effective loveliness here.. A delight to read. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't often comment on your poems, Jae, but I enjoy them and find your characters delightful. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, an amazingly beautiful blend of images and mood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to second Rosemary--what a great combination of images and mood here--beautiful!

    ReplyDelete