Mother said you have to learn
To pull your punches
And how to stop them
I think
Just play dead
Do not fight back
Do not object
If you do the punches
Will be harder
And longer
I stroke Alice's hand
It is soft
I curl her fingers around mine
They are far too gentle
To make a fist
It is far better that we fight
With words now
Not quite peaceful
Not quite safe
Better perhaps
We whisper together
We both have scars
Mine visible
Hers inside
You never really leave underground
Behind you
There is always a memory
A clue
Reminding you of the adventure
The fight
The journey
I kiss her gently on the cheek
I am glad there are no punches today.
This is beautiful. I’m so thankful you have each other and that you’re choosing to go limp, so to speak, instead of engage.
ReplyDeleteBetter to make party punch—with sprite and sorbet, please—than to punch with your fists and wind up hurting yourself even more. Let the abusers learn their lesson by watching you not be destroyed, no matter how hard they’ve tried.
I am the same...no punches, or it all gets worse. I love the lines about using words instead. My choice too. If you would like a good bedtime story, read my white lions tale at earthweal. I think you'll like it. Smiles.
ReplyDeleteI have always found words my best defensive weapon. They've got me out of trouble several times.
ReplyDeletePhysical punches do leave their scars, but I believe the wounds from words last longer. Some people too easily say things they don't mean (or do mean and have been kind enough not to say) when fighting.
ReplyDeleteThankfully, no one in my family resorted to punches, and I grew up in a peaceful household ....where words became spirited at times!
ReplyDeleteSo sad, but also sadly something that happens every day all around the world, with children and adults hoping that playing dead and not fighting back will save them from further physical pain. These lines made me cry:
ReplyDelete‘Better perhaps
We whisper together
We both have scars
Mine visible
Hers inside’.
It’s true that ‘You never really leave underground Behind you’ and I’m glad there are no punches today.
This is gentle and kind, I enjoyed it.
ReplyDelete