Thursday, 14 January 2021

Yellow Jackets

We hang our yellow jackets up
On the wooden pegs
Behind the kitchen door
We have been walking in the rain
Once again
From five to midnight 
We wander and dream
We see stars and clouds
Tree stumps
And fallen leaves
Sometimes it is cold
And we shiver
Tethered together 
Hand in hand
It would take a harpoon
To tear us apart
We chuckle
It really is special
Her tiny feet 
Plow the soil
I will have to lather 
Her shoes with soap
To make them shine again 
I run my tongue
Over my chipped teeth
Remember the punches
And the warm sugar
That healed old wounds
The coats silently dry
We like the yellow
It is like sunshine
Or egg yolks
Comforting and bright
They will dry
And warm up
Ready for tomorrow's adventure
Rain falling on our faces
Smiling and singing
Free as a shining bird. 

10 comments:

  1. Free as a shining bird. I love that. I hate those remembered punches. Thank heaven they are behind you. I love the brightness of yellow in your poem - eggs, sunshine, jackets........lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one gets older we do remember the good times of enjoying life and the world before being an adult changes all that. Then the years pile on board and we try to recall what was special. Then we realise (or I do!) that there is nothing more to expect other than tomorrow's sunrise. You really dig into life and how to live it Jae, in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't ready for the chipped teeth and punches .... no one, no one deserves that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free as a shining bird is such a perfect ending, leaving us happily satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is an inbuilt tranquillity in this line i luv so much
    "The coats silently dry"

    Happy Sunday Jae

    Muchđź’–love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yellow is sunshine and egg yolks. Also, daffodils and sunflowers. So many wonderful things. I just noticed my icon is yellow! As is my kitchen, bedroom and exterior of the house. I learn more and more about the narrator each poem. Her worn shoes earlier, now her chipped teeth. You bring the characters alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, my raincoat is yellow! Putting it on makes me feel cheerful. Wonderful last line, and I too am very glad those punches are in your past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent writing Jae. Engages one to think about the lightness of freedom. I am pleased to join in at P&SU in this new year. Hope it’s a good one for all

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great write! I can feel every word of this

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how close they are, how they make each other's world so much better... even the not so pleasant bits (perhaps, especially the not so pleasant bits).

    ReplyDelete