Thursday, 28 January 2021

Abandoned

The wind and rain
Tap at the window
Like a jangle of keys
Rustling outside
An abandoned house 
We hold each other
Share our inherited whispers
The ants and worms
Gather
In the fallen nests
Birds buckle in the breeze
Looking for a place to land
Eyes looking at uncut land 
The fields are overgrown 
And aching
Ready for another year's crop 
Another trip and fall
A muddy story
Waiting to be divined
Like gold
She giggles
I fear we will not find treasure
That is an ode
On an abandoned house 
A tune well played
And shining
We have had adventures here
Perhaps there are many more to come
If there is nothing new
We will tread old paths 
Sink into familiar
Soil
Ancient timbers
And grey glass
A good place for 
Sitting and thinking
Together 
In a dream. 

13 comments:

  1. Sigh. This is so beautiful. I love" That is an ode / on an abandoned house / a tune well played / and shining. Gorgeous. I can hear the winter rain battering on the window in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you write your words Jae always take the reader to the scene so easily. One of the beauties of your writing is of course the use of Alice and the comforting way you are friends with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Robin. You have the gift of drawing the reader right into the scene and the emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite:
    “Ancient timbers
    And grey glass”

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cozy settling in with the rest of the landscape is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Sherry "That is an ode
    On an abandoned house
    A tune well played
    And shining".......... is lovely writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Given my affinity for abandoned houses, which always make me want to write a poem about them, your words spoke to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Given my affinity for abandoned houses, which always make me want to write a poem about them, your words speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this and especially love the last part
    Ancient timbers
    And grey glass
    A good place for
    Sitting and thinking
    Together
    In a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it all but birds buckling in the breeze tickles my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was right there with them, Jae, you conveyed the scene so vividly! I love the ‘muddy story / Waiting to be divined / Like gold’ and ‘an abandoned house / A tune well played’ – a ‘good place for / Sitting and thinking / Together / In a dream’.

    ReplyDelete