Tuesday, 5 January 2021

Flicker

Will it be hard to 
Walk away again
She asks
Her voice tiny
Like a golden flicker
In the night time sky
No more than before
Or the times before that 
It is harder to stay
I think
To keep going
To welcome the morning
And fall into dreams
I like that part best
She giggles
Me too 
Little Cricket
Me too
A dream is worth a dozen days
For many years we were running
Now we are still
It feels strange
Our heart pounds
Our feet are sore
But we never move
Trapped and wrapped in this
Grey little room 
Home
She whispers
Leaning into me
She is warm 
And smells like melted apples
If this is home
Then perhaps it will hurt to leave
As sleep falls on us
And we grow thick and heavy
I believe with all my might
That we will never walk away. 

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Jae. I have moved about fifty times in my life. I have had to take home with me to each new nest. I think you and Alice together make a home. I especially love the lines about the flicker in the night time sky. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times I'd like to walk away from where I am. It would be ever so much easier than staying. But I won't. Walk away, that is. Because the easiest way is often not the best way. (Unfortunately, it often takes a long time to find that out. You know, many mistakes later.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home
    She whispers
    Leaning into me
    She is warm

    Beautiful comforting expressions.
    Best Wishes for a Happy 2021 Jae

    Much✨love

    ReplyDelete
  4. An evocative write, giving us all an opportunity to reconsider the meaning of home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so good at creating mood! I love the tenderness of all your interactions with Alice.

    PS Magaly did ask us to leave a little note on our poems as to which Weekly Scribblings prompt inspired us this time, and a link to that prompt. I am guessing yours must be Walking Away, but could you please do as requested so as we may know for sure, and future readers of your blog can access it if wished? Ta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A subtle flicker of a poem, Jae, that conveys the fear of moving on, especially when one has been trapped in one place for a long time. I wonder if we will feel like that when the pandemic finally ends. I love the way you describe Alice’s voice as ‘a golden flicker In the night time sky’ and her body ‘warm’ and ‘smells like melted apples’.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flickering of Alice's voice. Moving on is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good to settle and think of your home as it should be. Somewhere where you can be yourself and feel safe.

    ReplyDelete