Thursday, 7 January 2021

Take Wing

I remember when 
I was little
Like you
I used to run 
Barefoot in the gravel
She grins
I liked how it made my pulse bound
How the pain was like taking flight
I would leap and bound
Floating above my body
The tiny stones
Made my feet bleed
Crimson kisses
Passionate
A dance
My first love
Taking wing in my own tempo
How high I flew
How fearless I felt
Now I worry
And pluck metal from my skin
Frame my face with hair
No longer shaved or shorn 
Doubled in stature
Paused in time 
Invisible
Yet heavy
I linger in the daydream
Touch the soles of my feet
Feel the tiny scratch lines
It feels redundant
Half a life away
Wasted time
Or adventure
Definitely adventure
She squeals 
We close our eyes
Take wing together
Flying safely in our dreams. 

8 comments:

  1. Barefoot in the gravel. Oh, I remember those days, and it never even hurt my feet! It was half a life away, or more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, it hurt MY feet just reading this. My grandkids used to jump on concrete just to make me shudder, as sympathy pains shoot up from my feet whenever I see anyone do that, even now, watching tv. A little too empathetic, I think. LOL. I loved "how the pain was like taking flight." Happy for your safe dreams of flight these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Childhood is a period of experimenting and learning. If you survive theres a chance you'll last a few more years! I can remember walking in a river stoney bottom near where I first lived as a pre-teem in my bare feet. It hurt but was still bearable as it was my fault and no one elses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad there's still a place for flying safely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. childhood is a time of adventure!
    "barefoot in the gravel", been there.
    "pluck metal from my skin", done that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me want to find something to hug--an emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My childhood barefoot days ended abruptly after I stepped on a snake! It makes me happy you could fly safely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the freedom of these times gone and feel the hardship with the relieving moments of daydreaming Kia Kaha

    ReplyDelete